Three Minute Thesis (3MT®)
Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is a research communication competition developed by The University of Queensland. The competition develops academic, presentation, and research communication skills and supports the development of students' capacities to effectively explain their research in language appropriate to an intelligent but non-specialist audience.
During each competition, graduate students will have three minutes to present a compelling discussion on their research topic, including its significance and relevance, to the general public. 3MT® is not an exercise in trivializing or "dumbing down" research, instead forcing competitors to consolidate their ideas and crystallize their research discoveries. This is a fast-paced competition where the top 10 finalists compete by summarizing their two to three-plus years of research in only three minutes with only one slide.
First Place: Jana Vincent, Biomedical Engineering
3MT® at Purdue
Purdue holds its annual 3MT® competition early each spring. It is a celebration of the discoveries made by graduate students and will allow the broader community to learn about ongoing research at Purdue. It is free and open to the public. Cash awards are given to the winner, runner-up, and People's Choice Award winner.
The cash awards include:
- $2,000 for the winner
- $1,000 for the runner-up
- $1,000 for the People's Choice Award winner
A panel of judges will select the first- and second-place winners, while the People's Choice Award will be selected by the audience.
3MT® Spring 2021 CompetitionThis year, our annual Three Minute Thesis Competition will be hosted virtually. The submission deadline for this competition is Friday, March 5, 2021. Those interested in competing should submit a draft video of their 3MT presentation and a copy of their slide by clicking the “Submit Now!” button below. On this page, you will submit your video recording and PowerPoint slide in two different sections of the Qualtrics form. You are not required to combine your video recording and slide, at this time.
For tips and tricks on producing your 3MT draft video, click here! Preparatory workshops are also available to those interested in participating. For more information, please contact competition administrators.
3MT Spring 2021 Competition Timeline
- Submission Deadline: March 5, 2021
- Competition Videos Go Live Online: April 15, 2021
- People’s Choice Award Voting: April 15 – April 22, 2021
- Winners Announced: April 23, 2021
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted (no slide transitions, animations or "movement" of any description).
- No additional electronic media (e.g., sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g., costumes, musical instruments or laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to three minutes maximum, and competitors exceeding three minutes are disqualified.
- The decision of the judging panel is final.
- All presentations will be videotaped and will appear on the graduate school 3MT® website.
Each 3MT® presentation will be judged based on communication style, comprehension, and engagement. Please view our archive of video presentations made by past winners.