2021 Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) Competition
Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is a research communication competition developed by The University of Queensland. The competition develops academic, presentation, and research communication skills and supports the development of students' capacities to effectively explain their research in language appropriate to an intelligent but non-specialist audience. This is a fast-paced competition where the top 10 finalists compete by summarizing their two to three-plus years of research in only three minutes with only one slide.
2021 Competition Entries
View this year's submissions (displayed in random order) and then vote for your favorite below!
- Developed by the University of Queensland (UQ) in 2008
- Expanded to the Trans-Tasman international competition in 2012
- 3MT competitions are now held in over 200 universities across more than 18 countries worldwide
- Single, static PowerPoint slide is permitted (no slide transitions, animations or movement of any description are permitted).
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound or video files) are permitted.
- No props (e.g. costumes, instruments) are permitted.
- The decision of the judging panel is final.
- Please Note: Competitors should not be judged on video quality
- Communication Style – was the thesis topic and its significance communicated in language appropriate to an intelligent but non-specialist audience?
- Comprehension – did the presentation help you understand the research?
- Engagement – did the oration make you want to know more?
- Please Note – competitors *should not* be judged on video/ recording quality or editing. Judging will focus on the presentation, ability to communicate research to a non-specialist audience, and 3MT PowerPoint slide.
People’s Choice Voting
Welcome to People's Choice Voting for the Graduate School's annual Three Minute Thesis (3MT) 2021 competition! Please read the judging criteria above to help you make your selection.
Voting begins on April 15, 2021. You have until April 22, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. to submit your vote. Winners will be announced April 23, 2021 on the Graduate School's 3MT webpage.
2021 Say It In 6® Competition Winners
Each year at the 3MT® competition, the winners of the Say It In 6® competition are announced. To see this year’s winners, visit Say It In 6®.