Crimes a CSA Must Report
While there are many types of crimes that may occur on campus, CSAs only need to report certain types of crimes that fall under the Clery Act. You can still advise people to report other crimes and support them in finding necessary support services.
CSAs must report an actual or attempted crime if:
1. The type of crime is considered a:
- Criminal Homicide: murder and non-negligent manslaughter
- Criminal Homicide: negligent manslaughter
- Sexual Assault: rape, fondling, statutory rape, and incest
- Aggravated Assault
- Motor Vehicle Theft
- Liquor Law Violation (does not apply to public intoxication or DUI)
- Drug Law Violation
- Weapon Law Violation
- Simple Assault
- Destruction/Damages/Vandalism of Property
- Criminal Offense (as described above)
- Domestic Violence
- Dating Violence
- Stalking Incidents
2. The crime occurred in one of these locations:
On campus — including student residential buildings
On public property — All public property, including thoroughfares, streets, sidewalks, and parking facilities, that is within the campus, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus.
On non-campus property — Any building or property owned or controlled by a student organization that is officially recognized by the institution; or any building or property owned or controlled by an institution that is used in direct support of, or in relation to, the institution’s educational purposes, is frequently used by students, and is not within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area of the institution.
For a definition of each of these types of crimes, please see the "Clery Crimes Defined" section.
If you are unsure whether or not the incident falls under one of these categories, report it.
- Clery Act Compliance Guide
- About Campus Security Authorities (CSAs)
- Responsibilities of a CSA
- Clery Reportable Crimes
- Clery Crimes Defined
- CSA Crime Reporting
- Clery Crime Reporting Forms
- West Lafayette Campus Resources
- PNW Hammond Campus Resources
- Fort Wayne Campus Resources
- PNW Westville Campus Resources