About Campus Security Authorities (CSAs)
Who is a CSA?
- Someone who works as part of campus police or campus security.
- Someone who has responsibility for campus security but does not constitute police or security. Examples include:
- Special event staff
- Parking enforcement
- Any individual or organization specified via Purdue’s security policy as someone to whom students and employees may report criminal offenses.
- Any University official with "significant responsibility for student campus activities." These activities include student housing, student discipline and campus judicial proceedings. Examples include:
- Dean of Students
- Director of housing/residence life
- Director of Greek life
- Residential life staff (including resident assistants)
- Director of athletics
- Team coaches
- Student discipline officials, student judicial affairs officials, student conduct, VP of Student Affairs
- Officials who oversee a student center
- Officials who oversee student extracurricular activities
- Faculty advisors to student groups/organizations
Who is NOT a CSA?
- A faculty member who does not advise a student group.
- Support staff (including clerical, maintenance and food service workers).
- Campus health physicians or nurses whose only responsibility is to provide care to students.
Who is exempt* from being a CSA?
*These people are only exempt when acting in the role and within the scope of a professional license or religious assignment (i.e., if a faculty advisor is also a licensed counselor, he/she would still need to report if actively advising and not counseling).
- Pastoral counselor recognized by a religious organization to provide confidential counseling.
- Professional licensed mental health counselor.
- Clery Act Compliance Guide
- About Campus Security Authorities (CSAs)
- Responsibilities of a CSA
- Clery Reportable Crimes
- Clery Crimes Defined
- CSA Crime Reporting
- Clery Crime Reporting Forms
- West Lafayette Campus Resources
- PNW Hammond Campus Resources
- Fort Wayne Campus Resources
- PNW Westville Campus Resources