J-2 Dependent Information

J-2 dependents are defined as a spouse or an unmarried, minor child of a J-1 student.  A minor child is under the age of 21.


  • may enter the US along with or after the J-1 nonimmigrant, but never before
  • must have health insurance during the entire J-1's program (not just their stay in the US) that meets the US Dept of State requirements as listed in the Exchange Visitor Program Welcome Brochure (state.gov).
  • may be employed with approval from USCIS in the form of an Employment Authorization card (also know as an EAD).  
    • This card would be required before the J-2 could obtain a paid position at Purdue
    • The J-2 must enter the US before applying
    • For current processing time for such requests, review Processing Times (uscis.gov) 
      • On this site, select
        • Form: I-765 
        • Form Category: all other applications for employment authorization
        • Field Office or Service Center: Nebraska Service Center
    • To apply, follow instructions on I-765 Application for Employment Authorization (uscis.gov)
      • The eligibility category for J-2 employment is (c)(5)( )
      • The J-2 must submit as additional info a signed and dated letter stating
        • The money earned will not be used in any way to support the J-1 principal
        • The reasons for requesting employment authorization, such as paying for the J-2’s education, recreation, cultural excursions, or development of professional expertise
  • For first entry, must have DS2019 signed on page 1 next to item 6.
  • For later reentry, must have DS2019 that also contains travel signature in lower right corner that is less than a year old whenever reentering the US, along with passport valid for at least six months past date of reentry and valid J-2 visa
  • may attend classes at the university
  • may be admitted as a full-time degree seeking student
  • would be subject to the Two Year Home Rule | ISS (purdue.edu) if the J-1 is subject
  • would be subject to the 12 Month Bar if physically present in the US more than 6 months
  • may remain in the US after the J-1 departs if the J-1's departure is temporary. A J-1 student's departure is temporary:
    • if the student maintains fulltime registration at Purdue and has not completed the degree objective OR
    • if the student has been approved for Academic Training | ISS (purdue.edu) after completing the objective and maintains employment during that training.

Inviting a J-2 Dependent

J-1 students may invite a spouse or unmarried minor children to join them at Purdue University by submitting a MyISS eform request. 

MyISS requires Multifactor authentication | IT (purdue.edu)

  1. Go to MyISS>F-1 and J-1 Student Services>Dependent Management Group>Request to Add a Dependent
  2. Complete the eform providing the following:
    • J-1 documents
      • If the passport record on file with ISS has expired, the J-1 must upload the new passport
      • J-1 visa
      • Current I-94
    • Evidence of financial support (bank statement, sponsor letter, assistantship letter, etc) showing sufficient funding to cover J-1 expenses plus $600 per month for each dependent to be added. If multiple documents, merge them together into one file to upload
    • Passport copies for each dependent  
  3. Submit eform: request will be complete within 14 days

ISS will prepare a dependent DS2019.

J-2 Visa Application

The dependent(s) will then use the DS2019 to apply for a J-2 dependent visa at the US Embassy or Consulate. The following items must also accompany the visa application:

  1. Proof of relationship:
    • Spouse: Original or attested true copy of marriage certificate
    • Child: Birth Certificate
  2. Original financial documentation
  3. Demonstration of residence abroad
  4. DS-160: Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application (state.gov)
  5. Passport for each applicant

Report Dependent Arrival

When the J-2 dependents arrive in the US, the J-1 student must submit MyISS>F-1 and J-1 Student Services>Dependent Management Group>Report Dependent Arrival.

Remove Dependent

If the J-2 dependent changes their status successfully to another status (such as J-1), the J-1 principal visa holder must have the dependent record and dependent expenses removed from their SEVIS record. The J-1 should also update their record if their relationship has changed (death, divorce).

To update the J-1 record, submit MyISS>F-1 and J-1 Student Services>Dependent Management Group>Request to Remove a Dependent