F-2 Dependent Information

F-2 dependents are defined as a spouse or an unmarried minor child (<21 years of age) of an F-1 student.

  • may enter the US with the F-1 student or after the F-1 student arrives but never before
  • cannot be employed and may not volunteer for any opportunity that should be a paid position
  • For first entry to US, must have Form I-20 with signature on page 1
  • For later reentry, must have Form I-20 with travel signature on page 2 that is less than a year old whenever reentering the US, along with passport valid for at least six months and valid F-2 visa
  • may be enrolled part-time as a degree seeking or non-degree seeking student at Purdue University (Exception: Elementary, middle school, & high school students may enroll fulltime)
  • must exit the United States if F-1 student has been outside US >5 months or when the F-1 ends their program

Inviting an F-2 Dependent

F-1 students may invite a spouse or unmarried minor children to join them at Purdue University by submitting a MyISS eform request.

  1. Go to MyISS (BoilerKey required)>F-1 and J-1 Student Services>Dependent Management Group>Request to Add a Dependent
  2. Complete the eform providing the following:
    • F-1 documents
      • If the passport record on file with ISS has expired, the F-1 must upload the new passport
      • F-1 visa
      • Current I-94
    • Evidence of financial support (bank statement, sponsor letter, assistantship letter, etc) showing sufficient funding to cover F-1 expenses plus $600 per month for each dependent to be added. If multiple documents, merge them together into one file to upload
    • Passport copies for each dependent  
  3. Submit eform: request will be complete within 14 days

ISS will prepare a dependent I-20 marked "for use by dependents".

F-2 Visa Application

The dependent(s) will then use the I-20 to apply for an F-2 dependent visa at the US Embassy or Consulate. The following items must also accompany the visa application:

  1. Proof of relationship:
    • Spouse: Original or attested true copy of marriage certificate
    • Child: Birth Certificate
  2. Original financial documentation
  3. Demonstration of residence abroad
  4. DS-160: Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application
  5. Passport for each applicant

Report Dependent Arrival

When the F-2 dependents arrive in the US, the F-1 student must submit MyISS>F-1 and J-1 Student Services>Dependent Management Group>Report Dependent Arrival.

Remove Dependent

If the F-2 dependent changes their status successfully to another status (such as F-1), the F-1 principal visa holder must have the dependent record and dependent expenses removed from their SEVIS record. The F-1 should also update their record if their relationship has changed (death, divorce).

To update the F-1 record, submit MyISS>F-1 and J-1 Student Services>Dependent Management Group>Request to Remove a Dependent