J-1: Employment Information

Types of Employment Available (scroll down for full descriptions)

  • On-Campus: In some cases, J-1 students must submit a written request to ISS to request authorization to work on campus. Please review instructions below.
  • Off-Campus
    • Academic training
    • Severe Economic Hardship 


On campus employment is defined as employment which provides a paycheck from Purdue University. Positions include teaching assistantships, research assistantships, some fellowships, and hourly employment.

Hourly Restrictions 

J-1 students are restricted to the amount of hours per week they may work:

  • Fall/Spring academic semesters: maximum of 20 hours per week
  • Semester breaks, official school/summer vacation: more than 20 hours per week is allowed
    • Exception: if a student is required to register for summer (such as with a Graduate Staff appointment), only 20 hours per week maximum permitted

Graduate Assistantships

Students employed as Graduate Staff Appointment (Graduate Student Assistantships; GSA) in the department listed on Form DS 2019 do not need to request this on-campus authorization each semester with ISS. Such students instead need to update the funding on their document to list Purdue University funding.

However, students who secure a GSA position in a different department than the one listed on their Form DS 2019 are required to request employment authorization according to the process below.

Employment Authorization Request Process

To obtain authorization for on-campus hourly employment or a GSA in a different academic department, J-1 students need to have the on-campus employer complete a J-1 Student Employment Information Form and submit it to MyISS for approval during the semester of employment.

Employment Request Process

Gather the documents listed below.

  1. J-1 Student Employment Information Form
  2. Passport
  3. Form I-94

Social Security Number Instructions

For guidance regarding obtaining a Social Security Number, please refer to Government and Agency Resources | ISS (purdue.edu)


Earliest Employment Start Date

The DS2019 start date (on DS2019 item 3) is the earliest possible employment start date that may be granted by such a request.

Latest Employment End Date

Please note that on-campus employment is not permitted after completion of an academic program unless the student

  • has been issued a DS2019 to begin a new program and intends to enroll for the following semester, or
  • has obtained Academic Training authorization (see below) to be employed on-campus.


Academic Training (AT)

AT is available in a J-1 student´s field of study for off-campus employment before completion of a program of study as well as after completion of studies. 

Severe Economic Hardship

Students who experience a serious, unforeseen economic need which arises after arrival to the US may be able to apply for this special off-campus employment authorization. Students who believe that they may qualify for this option should see an ISS Immigration counselor.