J-1: Dependent Information

J-2 dependents are defined as a spouse or an unmarried, minor child of a J-1 faculty, staff, or student.  A minor child is under the age of 21.

J-2 dependents:

  • may enter the US along with or after the J-1 nonimmigrant, but never before
  • must have health insurance during the entire J-1's program (not just their stay in the US) that meets the US Dept of State requirements as listed in the Exchange Visitor Program Welcome Brochure.
  • may be employed with approval from USCIS in the form of an Employment Authorization card (also know as an EAD). Click here for application material and instructions (requires Adobe Acrobat). 
    • This card would be required before the J-2 could obtain a paid position at Purdue. 
    • The J-2 must enter the US before applying AND
    • Processing time for these applications is around 4 months.
  • may not be in a Visiting Scholar position even with an EAD card.
  • may attend classes at the university
  • may be admitted as a full-time degree seeking student
  • would be subject to the Two Year Home Rule if the J-1 is subject
  • would be subject to the 12 Month Bar if physically present in the US more than 6 months
  • may remain in the US after the J-1 departs if the J-1's departure is temporary. 
    • A J-1 student's departure is temporary
      • if the student maintains fulltime registration at Purdue and has not completed the degree objective or
      • has been approved for Academic Training after completing the objective and maintains employment during that training.
    • A J-1 scholar, however, is a bit more complicated. 

Inviting a J-2 Dependent

J-1 students and J-1 scholars may invite a spouse or unmarried child after arriving at Purdue University by the following method:

  1. Submitting a Request Form to ISS
  2. Providing evidence of financial support for the dependent(s) as stated on the request form in step 1.
  3. Providing a copy of the dependent(s) passport(s)
  4. Submit request to ISS:
    • J-1 students combine documents in step 1-3 into one file and upload to MyISS>F-1 and J-1 Student Services>Upload Student Request for J-1's, selecting the Add Dependent option.
    • J-1 scholars email intlscholars@purdue.edu to request instructions to submit the request
  5. Obtaining a Form DS 2019 from ISS that allows a dependent to enter the US

J-2 dependents apply for J-2 dependent visas at the US Embassy or Consulate with the Form DS 2019. When applying for a J-2 visa, an original or certified copy of a marriage (for spouse) or birth certificate (for child) must be submitted in addition to financial support.

Finally, once a J-2 has left the US and has no plans to return during the J-1's program, please report this departure to ISS, asking that the J-2 status be ended. J-1 students should email iss@purdue.edu while J-1 scholars should email intlscholars@purdue.edu 

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

© Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by International Students and Scholars

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact International Students and Scholars iss@purdue.edu.