J-1: Travel Abroad

General Information:

When traveling outside the United States, you need to have in your possession the proper documents to return and resume your studies. These documents are:

  • Passport valid at least six months into the future
  • Valid J-1 visa stamp in your passport (Note: Canadian citizens entering the US from the western hemisphere are exempt from this requirement)
  • Original financial support as listed on your DS-2019
  • DS-2019 with valid travel signature

You may choose to additionally carry other documents with you to confirm your right to reenter the US, such as your Purdue transcript or enrollment certificate.

Travel Signature Requirement

Your DS-2019 must be endorsed for travel if you plan to exit and reenter the U.S. The travel signature is required upon reentry into the U.S. It is not required for leaving the U.S.


If you have a travel endorsement in the "Travel Validation by Responsible Officer" in the lower right corner of your DS-2019, that endorsement is valid for a one year period from the date that it has been signed or until the expiration date of the DS-2019, whichever comes first. The expiration date is given in item #3 of the DS-2019. 

Exceptions to the one-year endorsement

  • Degree/program completion: On the date that you complete your degree or program, the endorsement is no longer valid.  This may be the date you deposit your thesis, complete the semester, or graduate.

  • Students on Academic Training: A new travel endorsement must be obtained for J-1 students on Academic Training (AT) after application approval. If you travel abroad on AT, be sure to carry your proof of employment in the U.S. in order to return.

  • Academically dropped, suspended, expelled, or terminated: If you are academically dropped, suspended, expelled, or terminated from the university the endorsement, your DS-2019 is no longer valid. Contact ISS immediately concerning your nonimmigrant status. Do not use the Purdue DS-2019 to reenter the U.S.

  • Foreign visa requirements: The country where you are travelling may require a new DS-2019 travel signature. Please check with the consulate of the country you plan to visit to confirm what is required.

  • Out of the U.S. for over 5 months: Your DS-2019 will no longer be valid for reentry according to USCIS regulations. Notify ISS of prolonged absences so we may best advise your future reentry into the U.S. Exception: Students participating in Purdue Study Abroad programs.

How to Request a Travel Signature

To request a travel signature, please log into myISS at https://connect.iss.purdue.edu/, find the F-1 and J-1 Student Services section, and click on the Travel Signature Request.

Please be aware that travel signature processing can take a maximum of 14 calendar days in very busy times, but typically takes much less time.

Plan Ahead! 
ISS suggests that you always keep your travel signature valid. You can request a travel signature at any time of year: you do not need to wait until you have specific travel plans. Plan well in advance when traveling out of the U.S. More than 10,000 international students and scholars attend Purdue. End of semester periods can be very busy at ISS with many travel and other types of requests.

Emergency Travel

If you have an emergency and need to travel before you have time to receive a new travel signature or when ISS is closed (weekends, federal, and university holidays), please go ahead and travel. Remember that the travel signature is required upon returning the U.S., not for leaving the U.S. Follow the instructions above to submit a travel signature request online while you are abroad.

What happens if I do not have time to get a travel signature?

If you do not allow enough time for you to receive a new travel signature before you travel, please be aware that most likely, the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at the U.S. port of entry will issue you a Form I-515A Notice to Student and Exchange Visitor. Please note that the temporary admission with the Form I-515 is at the discretion of the CBP officer and ISS has no authority to persuade CBP to grant you temporary admission. On rare occasions, you may be denied entry to the U.S., and you should be aware of this risk before travelling to the U.S.


If you are issued an I-515A, you will be granted temporary admission into the U.S. for 30 days. The I-515A form contains instructions for what you need to do to extend your stay beyond the 30 day admission. You must come to the ISS office as soon as you return to campus. Bring the I-515 form and all the documents it requires pertaining to your situation. ISS will help you mail the required documents to the Department of Homeland Security within the 30-day submission deadline in order to maintain status. You must come to ISS as soon as you return to campus. 


Within four to six weeks, you will receive your new DS-2019 and I-94 arrival/departure card marked D/S, or duration of status. This notation extends your stay to its original length. You will not be able to travel outside the United States until you receive your documents marked D/S, so please plan accordingly. 


If you do not send the I-515 and supporting documentation by the submission deadline, your visa status will be terminated and you will need to exit the United States immediately or file immediately for reinstatement with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).


Make sure to read through the Travel Abroad Information sheet on the ISS website on traveling, maintaining status, and important information about your student visa. Also check the ISS website for the latest updates on Immigration Changes before traveling. 

J-1 Visa Renewal

You must be outside the U.S. to apply for or renew a U.S. visa. ISS can provide general tips on how to apply for a re-entry visa at a US Embassy or Consulate abroad: Renewing Your Student Visa However, you must do research yourself as to what specific requirements are for your citizenship. Please ensure that your passport, I-20, and travel signatures are all valid before applying for a visa. If you need to request a new travel signature, plan to do so at least two weeks prior to departure date.

Automatic Revalidation of Visa

Certain nonimmigrants may be able to reenter the US with an expired visa if they meet requirements. The travel may be for business or pleasure and for a maximum stay of 30 days. Visit the US Department of State website to determine whether you qualify for this type of travel: 


If you determine you would be eligible to reenter the U.S. under the automatic revalidation provision, ensure that you have a valid passport, DS-2019, and travel signature. Please read this bulletin carefully as it mentions additional restrictions from using this regulation that may apply to your situation.  

Please note that you may need a visa to enter the country to which you are traveling.  Be sure to check with that country's consulate concerning visa requirements.


Note regarding the I-94: It is also recommended to carry a print of your electronic I-94 when using the auto-revalidation option (and keep a copy for your records). Access your I-94 on USCBP's I-94 site. If you still have a paper I-94, it is recommended that you retain it for your reentry to the US.

Visa Appointments in Canada and Mexico

Some students choose to renew their U.S. visa in Canada or Mexico, although ISS typically advises students to do this in their home country in case there are delays in visa processing. You must research whether applying for a visa in Canada or Mexico is a possibility for citizens of your country, and what the requirements are. Please see the following U.S. Embassy & Consulates websites for more information.

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

© Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by International Students and Scholars

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact International Students and Scholars iss@purdue.edu.