J-1: Employment Information

Types of Employment Available (scroll down for full descriptions)

  • On-Campus
  • Off-Campus
    • Academic training
      • Description
      • How to Apply
    • Severe Economic Hardship
  • Special Student Relief Program


On campus employment is defined as employment which provides a paycheck from Purdue University. Positions include teaching assistantships, research assistantships, some fellowships, and hourly employment.

To obtain authorization for on-campus hourly employment, J-1 students need to obtain a J-1 Student Employment Information Form from the ISS Office, have the on-campus employer complete the form, and submit it to ISS for approval during the semester of employment. Bring the following documents:

  • J-1 Student Employment form
  • Current DS2019
  • Passport
  • I-94 

This request may be done during walk-in hours Monday - Friday:

  • 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM except Thursday mornings
  • 1:30 PM to 4:00 PM

Students employed as teaching or research assistants (TAs or RAs) in the department listed on Form DS 2019 do not need to request this on-campus authorization each semester with ISS.  Such students instead need to update the funding on their document to list Purdue University funding.  However, students who secure a TA or RA position in a different department than the one listed on their Form DS 2019 are required to complete the J-1 Student Employment Information Form and submit it to ISS for approval during the semester(s) of employment.


J-1 students are restricted to the amount of hours per week they may work:

Fall/Spring academic semesters: maximum of 20 hours per week.

Semester breaks, official school/summer vacation: full-time on campus. (Exception: if a student is required to register for summer (such as with a Graduate Assistantship), only 20 hours per week maximum permitted).

Please note that on-campus employment is not permitted after completion of a degree program unless the student

  • has been issued a Form DS 2019 to begin a new program and intends to enroll for the following semester, or
  • has obtained Academic Training authorization to be employed on-campus.


Academic Training (AT)


AT is available in a J-1 student´s field of study before completion of a program of study as well as after completion of studies.  Every month in J-1 student status makes a J-1 student eligible for a month of AT up to a total of 18 months of AT.  An additional 18 months is possible for J-1 students who obtain a Ph.D.

How to Apply for Academic Training (AT)

Obtain an application for AT at the ISS Office. Call ISS at 494-5770 for an appointment to see an immigration counselor after preparing the following:

  1. A letter from the prospective employer indicating:
    • Title of position
    • Length of employment including dates and location of employment
    • Annual salary
    • State the position is full or part-time, listing number of hours per week
    • A brief description of the goals and objectives of the employment
    • Name and address of supervisor
  2. Request Form for Academic Training Authorization
  3. Academic Training Authorization Form
  4. Current Form DS 2019
  5. Passport
  6. Form I-94
  7. Additional requirement for J-1 exchange students at Purdue through Study Abroad: Ask the Study Abroad office for confirmation that the home university does not object to your academic training request.

Note: Apply no later than 30 days after the completion of an academic program. Failure to do so will disqualify a J-1 student from being authorized for AT.

Severe Economic Hardship

Students who experience a serious, unforeseen economic need which arises after arrival to the US may be able to apply for this special off-campus employment authorization. Students who believe that they may qualify for this option should see an ISS Immigration counselor.

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

© 2015 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by International Students and Scholars

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact International Students and Scholars iss@purdue.edu.