Women in sports, girls’ participation in sports
Cheryl Cooky, a Purdue Universityassociate professor of women’s, gender and sexuality studies, can talk about girls' and women’s participation in sports, and gender images in media, and the connection between feminism and sports. She is part of a team based at the University of Southern California that analyzes the amount and quality of media coverage for men's and women's sports.
Cooky, a sports sociologist, can discuss:
- The social contexts of advertising campaigns related to women and sports.
- Coverage of women's sports and how female athletes are featured.
- Gender disparities between leadership in athletics.
- Athletic participation and interest of young girls in urban and rural environments.
- Higher sports dropout rate for adolescent girls, as it relates to peer pressure and community expectations.
- How Title IX levels the playing field.
- Female athletes in the Olympics.
- The relationship between feminism and sports.
Contact: Cheryl Cooky, firstname.lastname@example.org