Big Bass Drum
Known as the "world's largest drum," it stands 10 feet tall on its field carriage and is handled by a crew of four band members with two beaters. The drum draws attention wherever it goes from fans who want their picture taken with the instrument. It still has its original 1921 frame, which is eight feet in diameter and nearly four feet between its two heads.
The moniker for the University's athletics teams has become a popular reference for all things Purdue. A reporter first used the name in 1891 to describe the year's winning football team and quickly gained approval from students.
The locomotive design of Purdue's official mascot celebrates the University's renowned engineering programs. The first Boilermaker Special was presented in September 1940 and has been used to announce campus events ever since. Rides on the Special can be arranged through the Purdue Reamer Club.
This 50-mile, 160-lap go-kart race is "The Greatest Spectacle in College Racing" and wraps up Gala Week each year. All 33 participating karts are made from scratch by student teams. The event has been raising money for student scholarships since it began in 1958.
While University events are the most likely place for Boilermakers to join in a chorus of Purdue's official fight song, it's not uncommon to hear it somewhere on campus every day. The song was composed in 1912 by Edward Wotawa (music) and James Morrison (lyrics).
Originally one winding walkway from the main entrance to University Hall, the Hello Walk now includes all the sidewalks that cross the Memorial Mall. As indicated by the name, people are encouraged to smile and say hello to everyone they meet along the way.
Old Gold and Black
Purdue's colors were adopted in 1887, the first year of Purdue football. It was decided that colors were needed to achieve distinction, and the captain of the football team that year proposed the colors.
Old Oaken Bucket
Found on a farm in southern Indiana, the oaken bucket is one of the oldest football trophies in the nation. The winner of the annual Purdue-Indiana football game gets to add a bronze "P" or "I" chain link and keep the trophy until the next face-off. Ironically, the first competition in 1925 led to a 0-0 tie, resulting in the first link on the chain being an "IP."
Ask any group of West Lafayette students whether they've read today's Exponent, and chances are you will get a resounding yes. The popular newspaper was founded in 1889 and is Indiana's largest collegiate daily newspaper with approximately 150 student staff members.
The University Choir first performed the hymn on March 6, 1943, during a convocation in the Purdue (now Elliott) Hall of Music. Fifty years later, it was adopted by the trustees as the University’s official anthem in response to petitions by hundreds of students and alumni.
Words and music were written by Alfred B. Kirchhoff in 1941. Kirchhoff did graduate study at Purdue while serving as a teacher, principal, choirmaster, organist, and youth leader at St. James Lutheran Church and School in Lafayette.
What started as an advertising logo for the University Bookstore in 1940 has become one of the most recognized symbols for the school.
This annual, two-day event draws tens of thousands of participants each year with attractions hosted by a variety of Purdue schools and departments. Fun and interactive activities like the popular Bug Bowl showcase the lighter side of education for people of all ages.