May 10, 2019
Convocation recognizes faculty for honors, awards, teaching excellence
Faculty members were recognized Tuesday (May 7) at the Faculty Awards Convocation for a range of faculty honors, including national and international awards; University and college awards; Fellow awards; and distinguished and named professorships.
A full list of the national and international awards and college awards is available here. The awards are listed by the categories of teaching, research and scholarship, leadership and engagement.
The following University awards were recognized:
* Charles B. Murphy Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching: Jennifer Freeman, Health Sciences; Pamela Karagory, Nursing; Dawn Laux, Computer Information Technology; Derek Pacheco, English; Yvonne Pitts, History.
* Exceptional Early Career Award: Heather Howard, Libraries and School of Information Studies, and Elizabeth Karcher, Animal Sciences.
* Class of 1922 Outstanding Innovation in Helping Students Learn Award: Janelle Potetz, Nursing, and Becky Walters, Nursing.
* Purdue Online Learning Innovative Course Design and Use of Technology (Team Award): Kharon Grimmet, Educational Studies, and Angela Holtsclaw, Educational Studies.
* Horizons Faculty Mentor Champion Award: Shelley MacDermid Wadsworth, Human Development and Family Studies.
* Teaching Academy: Stephen Beaudoin, Chemical Engineering; Carl Behnke, Hospitality and Tourism Management; Henry Chang, Biological Sciences; Jennifer Dobbs-Oates, Human Development and Family Studies; Richard French, Engineering Technology; Mark Lipton, Chemistry; Haley Oliver, Food Sciences; Ilana Stonebraker, Libraries and School of Information Studies; John Sundquist, Languages and Cultures; and Becky Walters, Nursing.
* Teaching for Tomorrow Fellowship Awards: Senior fellows: Pamela Karagory, Nursing; Gail Newton, Pharmacy Practice; Irwin Weiser, English. Junior fellows: Brandon Boor, Civil Engineering; Stanley Chan, Electrical and Computer Engineering; Gaurav Chopra, Chemistry; Reuben Goforth, Forestry and Natural Resources; Nicole Hands, Computer and Information Technology; Heather Howard, Libraries and School of Information Studies; Jennifer Lee Johnson, Anthropology; Kristen Kirby, Nursing; L. Tiffany Lyle, Comparative Pathobiology; Alissa Russ, Pharmacy Practice; Kevin Solomon, Agricultural and Biological Engineering; Jason Ware, Honors College; and Adam Watkins, Honors College.
* Herbert Newby McCoy Award: Natalia Doudareva, Biochemistry.
* Arden L. Bement Award: Peide Ye, Electrical and Computer Engineering.
* LuAnn Aday Award; Kenneth Ferraro, Sociology.
* Clifford B. Kinley Trust Award: Lori Czerwionka, Languages and Cultures; Natalya Kaganovich, Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences; Yumary Ruiz, Health and Kinesiology; Vicki Simpson, Nursing; Amanda Veile, Anthropology; Dongjuan Xu, Nursing.
* Helen B. Schleman Gold Medallion: Melinda Zook, History.
* Sigma Xi Faculty Research Award: Mark Cushman, Medicinal Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology.
* Sigma Xi Mid-Career Faculty Research Award: Guang Lin, Mathematics.
* Trailblazer Award: Cheryl Cooky, Interdisciplinary Studies, and Sebastien Helie, Psychological Sciences.
* University Faculty Scholars: Shawn Bauldry, Sociology; Jeffrey Brower, Philosophy; Guang Cheng, Statistics; Brian Dineen, Management; Songlin Fei, Forestry and Natural Resources; Soo Cheong Jang, Hospitality and Tourism Management; Nicole Key, Mechanical Engineering; Christian Krupke, Entomology; Milind Kulkarni, Electrical and Computer Engineering; Maxim Lyutikov, Physics and Astronomy; Vilas Pol, Chemical Engineering; Minghao Qi, Electrical and Computer Engineering; Jianlin Xia, Mathematics; Christopher Yeomans, Philosophy; Wenbin Yu, Aeronautics and Astronautics; Laura Zanotti, Anthropology; and Melinda Zook, History.
* Showalter Faculty Scholar: R. Claudio Aguilar, Biological Sciences, and Elizabeth Tran, Biochemistry.
* Christian J. Foster Award: David Feikes, Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science, Purdue University Northwest.
* Faculty Engagement Fellow Award: Shelley MacDermid Wadsworth, Human Development and Family Studies.
* Faculty Engagement Scholar Award: Kathryn Brownell, History.
* Jefferson Award by Multiplying Good: William Harper, Health and Kinesiology; Gloria Sachdev, Pharmacy Practice; Sandy San Miguel, Veterinary Medicine Administration; Gary Steinhardt, Agronomy; and Marcy Towns, Chemistry.
* Office of Corporate and Global Partnerships Global Faculty Fellows: Robert Cox, Construction Management; Suzanne Nielsen, Food Science; and Gerald Shively, Agricultural Economics.
* Outstanding Leadership in Globalization Award: David Schoorman, Management.
* Scholarship of Engagement Fellows: Jason Ackerson, Agronomy; Jennifer Bay, Liberal Arts; Jeong-il Cho, College of Education and Public Policy, Purdue University Fort Wayne; Jennifer DeBoer, Engineering Education; Jerry Holt, English, Purdue University Fort Wayne; Elizabeth Keller, College of Arts and Science, Purdue University Fort Wayne; Michael Kirchner, Organizational Leadership, Purdue University Fort Wayne; Monica Miller, Pharmacy; Christina Ragan, Psychology, Purdue University Northwest; Ellen Schellhase, Pharmacy; Julia Smith, Early Childhood Education, Purdue University Fort Wayne; and Hui-Hui Wang, Agricultural Sciences Education and Communication.
* Service Learning Award: Scott Downey, Agricultural Economics, and Jill Newton, Curriculum and Instruction.
Named professors recognized
Steven F. Son, Alfred J. McCallister Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Steven D. Pekarek, Edmund O. Schweitzer III Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Karen Plaut, Glenn W. Sample Dean of Agriculture
Tony J. Vyn, Henry A. Wallace Chair in Crop Sciences
Qingyan Chen, James G. Dwyer Professor Mechanical Engineering
Richard J. Kuhn, Krenicki Family Director in Inflammation, Immunology and Infectious Disease
Charlie Hu, Michael and Katherine Birck Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
David Love, Nick Trbovich Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Manoj S. Patankar, Raisbeck Engineering Professor of Aviation Technology
Dimitrios Peroulis, Reilly Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Suresh Jagannathan, Samuel D. Conte Professor of Computer Sciences
Nancy Marchand-Martella, Suzi and Dale Gallagher Dean of Education
Distinguished professors recognized
Suresh K. Mittal, Distinguished Professor of Virology