Using Your Chosen Name at Purdue
Students, staff and faculty at Purdue may use their chosen (preferred) names on campus even if their names have not been formally changed through a legal process.
Chosen Name on Purdue ID Card
Purdue students, staff and faculty can have their preferred/chosen name displayed on the front of their official Purdue ID card. Their legal name will be placed in small print on the back of the ID card.
Instructions for students:
Students can change their preferred name via the myPurdue portal.
It may take up to three business days for the update to appear. After updating your preferred name in MyPurdue, you have the option to have your preferred name displayed on the front of your Purdue ID Card. To do this, take your current Purdue ID card to the Purdue ID Card Office and trade it in for a new ID with your preferred name. There will be a replacement fee charged.
Click here for information and resources regarding the use of a chosen name at Purdue University.
Instructions for faculty and staff:
Log in to the Purdue Electronic Directory by clicking the small icon that looks like an ID card above the "Search" field (alternate text will display "Update My Directory Listing" when you place your cursor over the icon). Once you log in, click on "Nickname" in the table of options. Enter your chosen name (first name and last name), then click "OK." No documentation is required to update your nickname in the Purdue system.
Changing Your Purdue Email Display Name
Faculty, staff and students may change the display name for their @purdue.edu email address by emailing Angie Fritz, Purdue IT Customer Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org
BoilerLink Chosen Name Change
Follow these steps to change your BoilerLink chosen name:
- Log in to www.boilerlink.purdue.edu
- Go to the user name displayed in the top left-hand corner and click on the arrow pointing down, which is located next to the display name
- Click on "Profile" under the “Profile” heading
- Change “First Name” field
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Update”
- The student should now see a green bar at the top that says “Account information updated” and the name displayed in the top left-hand corner should reflect the name change
Chosen Name on Your Diploma
All students can decide to have their chosen name on their diploma, the graduation program book, and read at graduation in lieu of their legal name. For more information, please send an email to LGBTQ@purdue.edu.
Legal Processes for Changing Your Name and/or Gender Marker
Learn more by visiting our page on Changing Your Legal Name and/or Gender Marker.
- Resources for Faculty and Staff
- Trans Resources
- Gender-Inclusive Restrooms
- Health Insurance
- Mental Health Resources
- HIV/STI Resources
- Chosen Names at Purdue
- Changing your Name/Gender Marker
- Involvement Opportunities
- Local, State, & National Resources
- Support Resources for Being Away from Campus During the Holidays
- Coming Out Resources