The Healthy Boiler journey … New direction is a multi-faceted approach to overall well-being
The Healthy Boiler initiative – introduced in late 2015 as a collaboration between Human Resources and Student Life to improve all aspects of the campus health care resources on Purdue’s West Lafayette campus -- has through the years evolved into a multi-faceted wellness program focused on overall health and well-being.
In 2018, the university in partnership with the Center for Healthy Living on Purdue’s West Lafayette campus, launched its Healthy Boiler Wellness Program to promote wellness within the university population. The wellness program offered the opportunity to earn monetary incentives for completing certain health and wellness objectives, and returned in 2019.
As the program continues to flourish, it has become evident that the Healthy Boiler Wellness Program could be and is, even more than simply an incentive program. While the university remains committed to the physical wellness of employees, overall health and well-being covers more than that alone.
Today, the Healthy Boiler Program is a multi-faceted approach to overall well-being composed of five pillars: behavioral health, financial wellness, physical health, social wellness and work-life integration. The Healthy Boiler Program provides care in each area by offering cost-controlled benefits and easily accessible resources that help Purdue employees (and their families) across all campuses transform their lives into the healthiest, happiest versions possible. Through each of the pillars, the Healthy Boiler Program:
- Behavioral Health – advocates for integrated care programs that focus on behavioral health and community support
- Financial Wellness – provides financial education and guidance programs that help ensure long-term financial well-being
- Physical Health – champions health education, preventive care and ongoing treatment programs to help individuals achieve lasting physical health and overall well-being
- Social Wellness – promotes opportunities that bring people together to foster collaboration and share common goals, contributing to both individual and collective well-being
- Work-Life Integration – offers family-friendly benefits and programs that meet 21st century work-life demands.
“I am excited to be part of the evolution of our Healthy Boiler program,” said Bill Bell, vice president for human resources. “We are pleased with the direction the program has taken – changing the definition of ‘wellness’ to focus on all areas of a person’s health. As we continue to introduce and expand upon the benefits and resources the program offers to all of us, you will hear much more from our Benefits team. Be on the lookout for articles and emails specific to Healthy Boiler in the coming months. I look forward to working to create the best Healthy Boiler program we can throughout this year and years to come.”
Your Benefits | Your Choices |Your Well-Being
- April 2019 Issue 7
- The Healthy Boiler journey … New direction is a multi-faceted approach to overall well-being
- ABA therapy benefit no small thing for Purdue families
- Steve Abel: Committed to health
- myStrength program added to mental health resources for all Purdue employees, dependents
- Yes, you can easily invest HSA funds with investment options from HSA Bank
- Assistance, resources available to answer benefit questions
- Your finances need a wellness check, too – Fidelity can help
- You can now use your FSA or HSA card on Amazon
- Mark your calendars: Wellness and family-friendly programs coming up