Healthy Boiler Newsletter Issue 7
The Healthy Boiler initiative – introduced in late 2015 as a collaboration between Human Resources and Student Life to improve all aspects of the campus health care resources on Purdue’s West Lafayette campus -- has through the years evolved into a multi-faceted wellness program focused on overall health and well-being.
Beginning in 2012, Steve Beaudoin, professor of chemical engineering and director of the Purdue Energetics Research Center, led the efforts of a small group of Purdue parents to have applied behavior analysis (ABA) therapy added to Purdue’s medical coverage.
I serve as Associate Provost for Engagement at Purdue. The Office of Engagement works in many ways to improve the lives of the citizens of Indiana and beyond, so our focus on health and wellness is a logical connection.
Next month is National Mental Health Month, and in recognition of that, Human Resources – Benefits is introducing a new, no-cost, emotional health and well-being program brought to you by Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Purdue’s medical plan administrator.
We all know healthcare expenses in today’s world are, in most cases, quite costly and even exuberant at times. Purdue provides a variety of ways – Healthy Boiler Wellness Program incentives and Purdue’s contributions -- to earn funds into your health savings accounts to ensure you have pre-tax dollars on hand to assist you with those costs.
Benefits’ staff members are committed to providing excellent customer service and resources to help employees and their families best use these valuable programs.
Have you reviewed your financial situation lately? How are your retirement savings doing?
Health savings accounts (HSAs) and flexible spending accounts (FSAs) are a great way to use pre-tax dollars to purchase eligible healthcare services and supplies. For example, HSA funds may be used to pay for doctor appointments, prescription medications, imaging, medical equipment, medical supplies and more.
Complete health, type 2 diabetes, kids and technology, breastfeeding, tobacco cessation and more are the topics for the Center for Healthy Living and family-friendly workshops being offered second quarter of 2019.
- April 2019 Issue 7
- The Healthy Boiler journey … New direction is a multi-faceted approach to overall well-being
- ABA therapy benefit no small thing for Purdue families
- Steve Abel: Committed to health
- myStrength program added to mental health resources for all Purdue employees, dependents
- Yes, you can easily invest HSA funds with investment options from HSA Bank
- Assistance, resources available to answer benefit questions
- Your finances need a wellness check, too – Fidelity can help
- You can now use your FSA or HSA card on Amazon
- Mark your calendars: Wellness and family-friendly programs coming up