Ralph W. and Grace M. Showalter Research Trust
- Showalter Research Trust Internal Selection Committee and Review Process
- Pre-Proposal Submission Procedures
- Full Proposal Submission Procedures
- Annual Reports
- Showalter Trust Budget Instructions
- Showalter Award Recipients
- Annual announcement is sent to academic units and centers in mid-September.
- Pre-proposals are due in the Office of the Executive Vice President for Research and Partnerships (EVPRP), from academic colleges/schools or centers, by October 28th.
- An Internal Selection Committee will meet and screen all pre-proposals.
- Full proposal requests will be sent to selected faculty in December.
- Full proposal submissions are due to the EVPRP in January.
- Full proposals will be sent to Showalter Trustees for final selection in April.
- Final award decisions are expected to be announced in June.
Eligibility is limited to tenure-track and research faculty on the West Lafayette campus who hold the rank of assistant professor at the time of application. Collaborators may be at all academic ranks. While there is no blanket prohibition against receiving a second Showalter grant, the fact that an applicant seeks a second grant is not irrelevant and it may be that the second proposal will be subordinated to an equally-compelling proposal submitted by an applicant who has never received a Showalter grant. However, if a person has received a second Showalter grant it is very unlikely that a third grant would be made to that same person.
The Ralph W. and Grace M. Showalter Trust was established in 1975 to support research in the areas of:
- Environmental research including air and water quality
- Research in the field of biochemistry and molecular biology
- Research in the area of disease prevention, diagnosis, progression, treatment and control
- Research in the area of new technologies for food production, preservation, distribution and safety
- Research the area of medical and biophysical instrumentation, including the analysis of large data sets
Also specified by the Showalter Trust is a directive that no funds may be used to finance research in psychiatry, sociology or social studies.
Showalter Research Trust Internal Selection Committee and Review Process
The Showalter Research Trust Internal Selection Committee reviews and selects the most meritorious pre-proposals for development and provides a ranked list of invited full proposals to the external Showalter Selection Committee. The internal selection committee is appointed on an annual basis by an Associate Vice President for Research and is composed of senior faculty on the West Lafayette campus representing individual units who submitted Showalter pre-proposals.
Priority is given to interdisciplinary proposals whose focus is establishing new research relationships and new research thrusts. Priority also is given to projects that have a high potential to compete for or leverage federal funding and to create programs with a life span longer than the Showalter award.
Pre-Proposal Submission Procedures
Pre-proposals must be submitted by Associate Deans for Research. Faculty should consult their Associate Dean for Research for college-specific pre-proposal deadlines. A maximum of six ranked pre-proposals should be submitted by individual colleges/schools/centers to the Office of the Executive Vice President for Research and Partnerships by noon Wednesday, October 28, 2015 to firstname.lastname@example.org.Guidelines for Pre-proposal Applications:
- follow pre-proposal application template
- single spaced, not to exceed two (2) pages in length (including references)
- 0.5 inch margins on all sides
- font Arial 11
The following are required, but are not included in the 2 page limit:
- Standard NIH Biosketch including completed and current support for the PI and Co-PIs.
- Outline budget and brief justification (does not need to Be submitted through pre-award services)
- Salary and Wages
- Supplies and Expenses
- Capital Equipment (requires 75% cost share)
- Other (specify)
Full Proposal Submission Procedures
Full proposals should be submitted through college/school-based SPS pre-award units to (email@example.com) by noon Wednesday, January 20, 2016. Full proposal applications must use one inch margins and Arial 11 font size and must include in the following in order and paginated consecutively:
- Cover Sheet (click here for template)
- Layman’s Summary/Abstract (double-spaced, not to exceed 1 page)
Clearly identify the problem, describe the general approach and the benefits anticipated from the results.
- Budget (click here for Budget Form)
- Budget Justification (one page limit)
- Standard NIH Biosketch including completed and current support for each PI and Co-PIs
- Scientific Proposal (doubled-spaced, not to exceed 12 pages):
- Specific Aims
- Research Plan (can include preliminary data)
- Future Directions
- Cited Literature (can be single-spaced)
- Appendices (limited to 5 pages, not including a cover page that lists, and briefly describes the documents included)
- A brief one-page status report for applicants who have received any previous Showalter awards. (required)
- A Letter from the Department Chair that indicates support for the proposal and for the development of the research career of the faculty member. (required)
- If the applicant is an Research Assistant Professor and is working under the mentorship of a senior investigator, an additional letter from the senior investigator clarifying the level of independence of the applicant and the relationship of the proposal to the senior investigator’s research. (required)
- Letter(s) of support from key collaborators indicating their willingness to participate in the project, if applicable.
An annual report is required for all funded proposals. The report should be submitted electronically to (firstname.lastname@example.org) by August 1st, 2016. The annual report is submitted to the external Showalter Selection Committee. The report should be single spaced, not exceed 3 pages, use one inch margins and Arial 11 font size. The following template must be followed for the annual report:
- Project Title
- Principal Investigator(s): Name, Rank, Department, College/School
- Co-principal Investigator(s): Name, Rank, Department, College/School
- Project Period
- Project Overview
- Summary of Results
- Overall Impact
An additional report is required and must be submitted one month following the project end date for projects granted No Cost Extensions, using the above format.
Showalter Trust Budget Instructions (Full Proposals Only)
The budget is limited to $75,000 total costs including indirect costs calculated at 20%. (Click here for Budget Form)
- Faculty: salary support is limited to 10% compensated effort
- Post-doctoral and graduate student salary support is allowed in accordance with university policy
- List supplies in general categories and provide justification
- Animals: number and per diem rates should be stated and justified
- Human Subjects: provide details and justification sufficient for reviewers to make informed decisions
- Travel is allowed, but is carefully scrutinized by the external Showalter Selection Committee who make final funding decisions
- Capital Equipment
- Capital equipment requests must include a 75% cost share
- Facilities and Administrative Costs (F&A)
- Calculated at 20% of direct costs; total cost not to exceed $75,000
Sheryl Willison (email@example.com).