Mortar Board announces winners of annual awards
May 19 2014
The Barbara Cook Chapter of Mortar Board has announced the recipients of its annual awards: Challenge Scholarship, Rose Award, Helen B. Schleman Gold Medallion Award, Tip of the Cap and Dean Betty Nelson Service Award.
The Challenge Scholarship recognizes a sophomore leader who has demonstrated leadership in student organizations and who shows potential for greater leadership during his/her time at Purdue. The 2014 recipient is Quinton Nannet in the College of Agriculture.
The Rose Award is presented to members of the clerical or service staff at Purdue who always go "above and beyond" the call of duty. This year's recipients are:
* Helen Terrel, Health Sciences.
* Holly Fiock, Curriculum and Instruction.
* Jane Robertson, College of Agriculture - administration.
* Cathy Elwell, Mechanical Engineering.
* Donna Baker, Oral English Proficiency Program.
* Michelle Wagner, Electrical and Computer Engineering.
* Cindy Lavignette, Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital.
* Diane Carlson, Purdue Convocations.
* Carlene Quirk, Engineering Education.
* Brenda Meagher, Purdue University Libraries.
* Concepcion Ehrlich, Earhart Residence Hall.
* Nancy Montague, International Students and Scholars.
The Helen B. Schleman Gold Medallion Award is presented to a deserving faculty member or administrator for her/his contributions to Purdue, especially in the promotion and advancement of women students and women’s issues. The award honors the legacy of Dean Helen B. Schleman, who served as dean of women from 1947 to 1968. This year's recipient is Ronnie Wilbur, professor of speech, language, and hearing sciences and linguistics.
The Tip of the Cap award is presented to students who do not hold a major leadership role in their student organization, but who are "unsung heroes" and rarely receive the recognition deserved. This year's recipients are:
* Mahiman Pathak, College of Pharmacy.
* Jennifer Marie Clouse, College of Agriculture.
* Anna Kacius, School of Mechanical Engineering.
* Aharon Hannan, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
* Shannon Duda, College of Health and Human Sciences.
The Dean Betty Nelson Service Award honors one Purdue student affiliated with a student organization and one student organization, both of which excel in community service in Greater Lafayette. Mortar Board seeks to recognize those who have been instrumental in the continuing success or initiation of service programs. The recipients are:
* Student organization: Purdue University Dance Marathon.
* Student: Ethan Claretto, College of Health and Human Sciences.