5 Students Who Are Equality Makers
January 7, 2013
Jasmine Coe, a doctoral student in veterinary
medicine, heads up the National Chapter of Veterinary Students as One in
Culture and Ethnicity (VOICE), which promotes diversity within the veterinary
curriculum. She also spreads her love for learning through a children’s
literacy program at Lafayette’s Hanna Community Center. (Photo by Charles
They advocate for positive change. They seek justice and demand a level playing field. Meet our 5 Students Who Are Equality Makers.
The students featured are:
* Matthew Alexander, a senior in mechanical engineering who has a goal of creating a stronger and more inclusive community at Purdue. He developed a new training experience for residential life staff at Wiley Hall called UNITE -- University Network of Inclusive Training and Experience -- that addresses issues from cultural identity and race to body image, disabilities and bullying.
* Laura Blackburn, a history and political science major. She puts her principles for justice and equality into practice as a member of the Purdue Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer (LGBTQ) Advisory Board and the College of Liberal Arts steering committee for the planned LGBTQ minor.
* Martha Burris, a senior with dual majors in selling and sales management and organizational leadership and supervision. She's the director of diversity and inclusion for Purdue Student Government (PSG), responding to anything that affects the social climate of diverse students on campus.
* Jasmine Coe, a doctoral student in veterinary medicine. As president of the National Chapter of Veterinary Students as One in Culture and Ethnicity (VOICE), she helps promote diversity within the veterinary curriculum. She works with children’s literacy through a program at Lafayette’s Hanna Community Center.
* Cesar Reynaga, an industrial engineering major and president of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE). He is helping recruit and encourage fellow Latinos to take active roles on campus and in the community.
The students' full profiles can be found at www.purdue.edu/fivestudents.