July 2, 1862. President Lincoln signed the Morrill
Act, by which the federal government offered to turn over
public lands to any state that agreed to use the proceeds
from their sale to maintain a college for the purpose of teaching
agriculture and the "mechanic arts."
1865. The Indiana General Assembly voted to participate
in this plan and took steps to establish such an institution.
May 6, 1869. The Indiana General Assembly decided
to locate the institution near Lafayette and accepted $150,000
from John Purdue, $50,000 from Tippecanoe County, and 100
acres of land from local residents. Legislators established
the institution and named it Purdue University.
September 16, 1874. Classes began with six instructors
and 39 students.
||Lafayette business and financial leader.
Principal benefactor at the University's founding. Born
October 31, 1802, near Shirleysburg, Pennsylvania. Died
September 12, 1876, in Lafayette, Indiana.
|Richard Owen, 1872-1874
France A. Córdova
|Abraham C. Shortridge, 1874-1875
acting president, 1876
|Emerson E. White, 1876-1883
|James Henry Smart, 1883-1900
|Winthrop E. Stone, 1900-1921
|Henry W. Marshall,
acting president, 1921-1922
|Edward C. Elliott, 1922-1945
|Andrey A. Potter,
acting president, 1945-1946
|Frederick L. Hovde, 1946-1971
|Arthur G. Hansen, 1971-1982
John W. Hicks,
acting president, 1982-1983
|Steven C. Beering, 1983-2000
|Martin C. Jischke, 2000-2007