August 8, 2022
Health care appreciation award – additional HR information
As announced by University officials on Friday (Aug. 5), faculty and staff on the West Lafayette, Fort Wayne and Northwest campuses who are participating in one of Purdue’s medical plans as of Nov. 1, 2022, will receive a health care appreciation payment equal to two months of the average employee premium. The payment is provided to show appreciation for actions helping to establish Purdue as a leader in delivering high-quality benefits with innovative population health solutions at the lowest possible costs.
To establish the amount of the award, the total premium received by all employees for the calendar year was taken and divided by the number of employees enrolled in a Purdue medical plan. The average monthly premium for 2022 is $102 per employee enrolled; the final amount of the award will be shared with employees in the coming days.
Both biweekly and monthly staff will receive the payment in their Nov. 30 payroll.
Some guidelines for the appreciation payment:
- Employees who were employed on or before Nov. 1, 2022, but leave the University – whether by termination or retirement – before the payment is made will not receive the payment. Faculty and staff must be employed at the time of the payout.
- If an employee and their spouse both work at Purdue and are covered together on a plan, only the employee who carries the insurance will receive the payment.
- Student employees and temporary employees will not receive the appreciation payment.
- Voluntary retirement contributions will apply to those contributing to a voluntary retirement plan based on their current contribution election. Employees enrolled in Civil Service, PERF and PMRS retirement programs will receive University contributions on the appreciation award. Faculty and staff participating in the PSRS retirement program will not receive University contributions on the award.
- The payment is subject to the supplemental tax rate of 22 percent for federal income tax withholding. Normal tax rates apply for Social Security, Medicare, state income and county income tax withholdings.
Questions regarding the health care appreciation award payment should be directed to Human Resources at 765-494-2222, toll-free at 877-725-0222 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.