September 2, 2022
Butler Center accepting applications for travel award for graduate students
Applications are being accepted for the semiannual graduate student travel award administered by the Susan Bulkeley Butler Center for Leadership Excellence.
The travel award is intended to support a graduate student who will be presenting any of the following between Jan. 1, 2023, and June 30, 2023:
- A paper as an author or co-author at a national or international conference.
- A poster as an author or co-author at a poster-only national or international conference.
- A poster accompanied by a paper as an author or co-author if only poster is accepted at a national or international conference.
This award is made possible through a partial gift fund from the “Varma Family” and matching contribution from the Butler Center. Each award provides $500 to cover travel expenses for graduate students to present (as an author or co-author) at a national or international conference. The award of $500 will be a reimbursement after expenses toward the conference are incurred. Two awards will be made in this cycle.
The following are the criteria for the graduate travel award are as follows:
- Graduate students in any discipline in any college at Purdue are eligible to apply.
- Applicant must be enrolled in a full-time program at the master's or PhD level.
- Applicant must have a complete sole-authored or co-authored paper or poster (not an abstract) submitted and accepted for presentation at a national or international conference scheduled between Jan. 1, 2023, and June 30, 2023.
- The paper or poster (if poster-only conference) must be included for an oral presentation or in a panel session.
- Overall record of the student based on a two-page CV.
- No student will receive funds to attend more than one conference in one cycle.
- The award is nonrenewable for two years. A student who has received this travel award in the previous two years is not eligible to apply.
For the fall 2022 cycle of the award, applications should be submitted online by 5 p.m. Oct. 17. Individuals completing the online application must:
- Attach a submitted paper that includes the name of the author(s) if presenting a paper OR attach corresponding paper if presenting a poster (even if draft) in a paper and poster conference OR attach poster if a poster-only conference.
- Attach email or letter of acceptance to present the paper at the conference. Conference name and date must be noted on the letter of acceptance. Those who have not yet received acceptance should submit this to ButlerCenter@purdue.edu by Nov. 1.
- Attach a two-page CV (12-point font, one-inch margins) listing selected honors and awards, publications and conference presentations (only panel sessions).
Applications that are incomplete or do not comply with the instructions will not be reviewed or be considered for the award. The honorees will be selected by a committee. For more information, email ButlerCenter@purdue.edu.