August 23, 2021
Nominations sought for Leadership in Action Award
The Susan Bulkeley Butler Center for Leadership Excellence is seeking nominations for the 2021 Leadership in Action Award. This award will recognize Purdue faculty, staff and students who have shown exemplary leadership within their respective areas of expertise. Whether it is through excellence in a particular field or demonstrable commitment to the success and development of other leaders, this award will acknowledge honorees’ accomplishments and professional contributions.
There are three categories of awards, honoring a faculty member, a staff member and a student, each of whom must show leadership with direct impact of their work and community environments.
To be eligible for the Leadership in Action Award, the individual must demonstrate the following:
- Overarching commitment to launching tomorrow’s leaders by showing ongoing dedication to mentoring students, colleagues and/or peers to pursue excellence and fostering an atmosphere of cooperation and creativity that contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of their peers.
- Favorable representation of their department and the University, both on and off campus.
- Skillful motivation, organization, dedication and/or influence within their area of research, discipline or other work.
- Ongoing commitment to engagement at the local, state, national and/or global level, including with the Butler Center.
- Active service to the campus community as well as national service to academic and/or professional organizations.
Nominations must include the following:
- Cover letter of no more than two pages that cites the nominee’s strengths, years of services and examples of commitment to leadership. Letter may be signed by more than one individual.
- Two letters of support will be accepted. Each support letter may be up to two pages in length. The nominator cannot write a letter of support.
- A CV/resume of nominee condensed to two pages in length, highlighting accomplishments and efforts meeting the award criteria.
Nominations for 2021 are now open. Self-nominations are welcome. Once the nomination application is submitted, revisions will not be allowed.
Deadline for submission is 5 p.m. Oct. 7. Honorees will be recognized at a reception on Dec. 7. Nomination packet must be uploaded as a single PDF:
For clarifications or questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.