April 9, 2020
Purdue names 2020 teaching award recipients
Winners of the 2020 teaching awards — Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Awards in Memory of Charles B. Murphy, the Exceptional Early Career Award and the Excellence in Instruction Award for Continuing Lecturers — have been named. The awards are given to faculty and lecturers on the West Lafayette campus and in Purdue Polytechnic Institute Statewide Programs.
Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Awards in Memory of Charles B. Murphy
The Murphy Award, the University’s highest undergraduate teaching honor, is accompanied by a $10,000 cash award and the induction into Purdue’s Teaching Academy, which provides leadership for the improvement of undergraduate, graduate and outreach teaching. Murphy was a history professor at Purdue from 1927 to 1970. The 2020 Murphy Award recipients are:
- Elizabeth Flaherty, associate professor in the Department of Forestry and Natural Resources.
- Jill Newton, associate professor in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction.
- Jeffrey Rhoads, professor in the School of Mechanical Engineering.
- Elizabeth Richards, associate professor in the School of Nursing.
- Susan Swithers, professor in the Department of Psychological Sciences.
Exceptional Early Career Award
The Exceptional Early Career Award recognizes outstanding undergraduate teaching among Purdue’s early career faculty. Recipients of the award will receive a $5,000 award with additional funds for a department business account. The 2020 Early Career Award recipients are:
- Elizabeth Brite, clinical assistant professor in the Honors College.
- Nicole Hands, clinical assistant professor in the Department of Computer and Information Technology.
Excellence in Instruction Award for Continuing Lecturers
The Excellence in Instruction Award honors academic staff with the rank of continuing lecturer for outstanding undergraduate teaching on the West Lafayette campus. Recipients of the award will receive a $5,000 award. The 2020 Continuing Lecturers Award recipients are:
- Dan Degnan, lecturer in the Department of Pharmacy Practice.
- Olga Lyanda-Geller, senior lecturer in the School of Languages and Cultures.
Source: David Nelson, 765-494-2763, firstname.lastname@example.org