May 8, 2019

Form 5498-SA will be available in May from Payflex, HSA Bank for 2018 HSA contributions

Form 5498-SA -- which shows the total amount of contributions made to an HSA from any source for the previous plan year (2018 in this case) -- will be available in mid-May. The form typically is not available until May because it is not required for filing taxes, and an individual has until the tax filing deadline to make contributions outside of payroll to their HSA for the previous plan year.

Payflex was Purdue’s health savings accounts administrator for 2018 so most Form 5498-SAs will come from Payflex. Box 2 on the 5498-SA form from Payflex reflects total HSA contributions made in 2018.

As a reminder, pre-tax contributions (via payroll) can be found in Box 12b on one’s W-2 form; however, Purdue would not have knowledge of post-tax/non-payroll contributions -- such as if a person contributed directly to their account outside of a payroll contribution -- since Purdue is not involved in those types of contributions. Additionally, the 1099-SA form that was made available in January 2019 showed the total amount of distributions or funds spent from a person’s HSA in the previous plan year (2018).

Instructions for accessing the forms online from Payflex are as follows:

  1. Log in to in mid-May.
  2. Go to Documents & Forms in the top menu.
  3. Select My Documents from the drop-down.
  4. Go to Filter Document Type and select HSA Tax Documents in the drop-down menu.
  5. Click the PDF for 2017 IRS 5498SA.

Those who do not receive a form should contact PayFlex at 888-879-1454 and ask Payflex to mail it. 

Individuals who also contributed to their 2018 account through HSA Bank, Purdue’s health savings account administrator beginning Jan. 1, between Jan. 1 and April 15 will receive another 5498-SA form from HSA Bank. HSA Bank will send an email once the form is available – individuals who elected to receive paper documents will receive the form via mail. Box 3 on the 5498-SA form from HSA Bank reflects total HSA Contributions made in 2019 for 2018.

HSA Bank documents can be accessed via the Member Website ( by clicking on the “Member Center” tab and then on “View Statements.”

To change notification preferences from HSA Bank, follow these steps:

  1. Log into
  2. Click the Message Center.
  3. Click Update Notification Preferences.

Questions can be directed to Human Resources at 765-494-2222, toll-free at 877-725-0222 or via email at

Faculty-Staff News

More News

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

© 2015-20 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Office of Strategic Communications

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact News Service at