April 13, 2018
From the Archives revealed: Library in University Hall
University Hall was built in the center of campus in 1877, and in the center of University Hall stood the library. In this image, captured on Oct. 21, 1899, we see the library with its grand central staircase, busts and artwork on the walls, banners celebrating class victories during Field Day each year, the librarian’s desk in the middle of the room, display cabinets for artifacts, and bookshelves on the second floor. The library eventually outgrew this space and moved in 1913 to its own building, which is now part of Stewart Center.
The "From the Archives" photo series from Purdue Today and Purdue Libraries Archives and Special Collections will continue to share a glimpse at Purdue’s past throughout the year. More on University Hall and on the series can be found on the Purdue Libraries blog.