September 28, 2017
2017 Title IX Distinguished Service Award recipients to be honored at reception
Five individuals will be recognized and honored as winners of the 2017 Title IX Distinguished Service Award for their significant contributions to the advancement of gender equality in higher education, in intercollegiate athletics and at Purdue. A reception will be held in their honor at 5 p.m. Oct 5 at Ross-Ade Stadium's Shively Club. The reception will follow the "Title IX @ 45: Recollection, Reformation and Resilience" conference at Purdue.
The 2017 award recipients are:
* Carole A. Oglesby, professor emerita, Temple University; adjunct faculty, National University; private psychology and sports development consultant.
* Willie M. Reed, dean, College of Veterinary Medicine, Purdue.
* A. Charlene Sullivan, associate dean of undergraduate programs and associate professor of management, Krannert School of Management, Purdue.
* Sharon K. Versyp, women’s basketball head coach, Purdue.
* Catherine J. Wright-Eger, leadership advisor, Purdue Intercollegiate Athletics/John R. Wooden Leadership Institute.
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 became law on June 23, 1972, by the signature of President Richard M. Nixon. Title IX is a comprehensive federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any federally funded education program or activity.
Each of the Title IX Distinguished Service Award recipients demonstrates sustained accomplishments in one or more of the following areas:
* Maximizing institutional and/or societal resources to broaden access and opportunity to women in higher education.
* Expanding the range and quality of the female undergraduate or graduate student experience at Purdue.
* Contributing to the achievement of gender equity at all levels of the academic community.
* Contributing to the advancement of women in intercollegiate athletics.
* Providing local and/or national leadership on issues related to gender equity in education at all levels.
Registration is required to attend either the conference or reception, though the only cost is $15 for those who wish to attend the luncheon. The conference hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Ross-Ade Stadium's Shively Club. To register, visit www.conf.purdue.edu/TitleIX.
For registration information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For conference and reception information, contact Barbara Devine at email@example.com.
The event is sponsored by the Office of the Vice President for Ethics and Compliance, Office of the Provost, Diversity Resource Office, Intercollegiate Athletics, Office of Institutional Equity, Purdue Alumni Association, Purdue Research Foundation, the Susan Bulkeley Butler Center for Leadership Excellence, University Development Office, Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, and Purdue University Libraries.