April 26, 2017
Convocation recognizes faculty for awards, honors, teaching excellence
Faculty members were recognized Tuesday (April 25) at the Faculty Awards Convocation for a range of faculty honors given since last year's event, including national and international awards; University and college awards; Fellow awards; and distinguished and named professorships achieved since April 2016.
A full list of the national and international awards and college awards is available here. The awards are broken up under the categories of teaching, research and scholarship, leadership and engagement.
The following University awards were recognized:
* 2017 Charles B. Murphy Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Awards: Dorsey Armstrong, English; Erica Carlson, Physics and Astronomy; Signe Kastberg, Curriculum and Instruction; Melanie Morgan, Communication; and Carl Wassgren, Mechanical Engineering.
* 2017 Exceptional Early Career teaching awards: Stephanie Gardner, Biological Sciences, and David Sears, Educational Studies.
* 2017 Excellence in Digital Education awards: Charlene Sullivan, Management, credit course; Bruce Erickson, Agronomy, noncredit course; John LaMaster, IPFW, Mathematical Sciences, innovative course design and use of technology; Jennifer Richardson, Curriculum and Instruction, scholarship of teaching and learning.
* 2016-17 Teaching for Tomorrow Fellowship Awards: Senior fellows: Michael Loui, Engineering Education; Karen Marais, Aeronautics and Astronautics; Carl Wassgren, Mechanical Engineering. Junior fellows: Lalatendu Acharya, Consumer Science; Regan Bailey, Nutrition Science; Abby Berg, Nursing; Joaquin Cortes, Industrial Engineering; Meng Deng, Agricultural and Biological Engineering; Craig Goergen, Biomedical Engineering; Victoria Lowell, Curriculum and Instruction; Ramses Martinez, Industrial Engineering; Sara McMillan, Agricultural and Biological Engineering; Doug Osman, Communication; Derek Pacheco, English; Trevor Stamper, Entomology; Silvia Stan, Nutrition Science; and Ilana Stonebraker, Libraries.
* Arden L. Bement Jr. Award: Arvind Varma, Chemical Engineering.
* Clifford Kinley Trust Award: Sharon L. Christ, Human Development and Family Studies; Chrystal Johnson, Curriculum and Instruction; Elizabeth A. Richards, Nursing; Rachel Roegman, Educational Studies; and Frank Snyder, Health and Kinesiology.
* Herbert Newby McCoy Award: Jian Kang Zhu, Horticulture and Landscape Architecture/Biochemistry.
* Sigma Xi Faculty Research Award: Peide Ye, Electrical and Computer Engineering.
* Big Ten Academic Alliance Academic Leadership Program Fellows: Emily Allen, English; William Crossley, Aeronautics and Astronautics; Ellen Kossek, Management; Lisa Mauer, Food Science; and Ronald Stephens, Interdisciplinary Studies.
* Morrill Awards: Michael Boehlje, Distinguished Professor of Agricultural Economics.
* University Faculty Scholars: Catherine Aime, Botany and Plant Pathology; Edward Bartlett, Biological Sciences; Laura Bowling, Agronomy; Jason Cannon, Health Sciences; Zhihong Chen, Electrical and Computer Engineering; Michael G. Heinz, Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences; Tomas Höök, Forestry and Natural Resources; Chris Hrycyna, Chemistry; Inseok Hwang, Aeronautics and Astronautics; Birgit Kaufmann, Mathematics; Kee-Hong Kim, Food Science; Mathew Lister, Physics and Astronomy; Xiulin Ruan, Mechanical Engineering; Satish V. Ukkursuri, Civil Engineering; Mohamed Saleem, Comparative Pathobiology; and Cleve Shields, Human Development and Family Studies.
* Showalter Faculty Scholars: Chang-Deng Hu, Medicinal Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, and Wen Jiang, Biological Sciences.
* Provost Fellows: Dorsey Armstrong, English; Joan Fulton, Agricultural Economics; and Jessica Huber, Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences.
Named professors (appointed after April 2016) recognized:
Miko Cakmak, the Reilly Professor of Materials Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
Jeffrey Dukes, the Belcher Chair for Environmental Sustainability
Paul Griffin, the St. Vincent Health Chair of Healthcare Engineering
Sangtae Kim, the Jay and Cynthia Ihlenfeld Head of Chemical Engineering and Distinguished Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Chemical Engineering
Tom Shih, the J. William Uhrig and Anastasia Vournas Head of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Haiyan Wang, the Basil S. Turner Professor of Engineering
George Wodicka, the Dane A. Miller Head of Biomedical Engineering
Danzhou Yang, the Martha and Fred Borch Chair of Cancer Therapeutics
Peide Ye, the Richard J. and Mary Jo Schwartz Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Distinguished professors (appointed after April 2016) recognized:
Jan-Anders Mansson, Distinguished Professor of Materials and Chemical Engineering
James Lowenberg-DeBoer, the College of Agriculture Professor of Excellence in International Entrepreneurship
Donald R. Lynam, Distinguished Professor of Psychological Sciences
A full list of the honors and awards is here.