March 15, 2016
Mortar Board recognizes outstanding students, staff
The Barbara Cook Chapter of Mortar Board has announced the recipients of its annual awards: Helen B. Schleman Gold Medallion Award, Challenge Scholarship, Tip of the Cap, Dean Betty Nelson Service Award, and Rose Award.
The Helen B. Schleman Gold Medallion Award is presented to a deserving faculty member or administrator for her/his contributions to Purdue, especially in the promotion and advancement of women students and women’s issues. The award honors the legacy of Dean Helen B. Schleman, who served as dean of women from 1947 to 1968. This year's recipient is Barbara Frazee, executive director of University Residences.
The Challenge Scholarship recognizes a sophomore leader who has demonstrated leadership in student organizations and who shows potential for greater leadership during his/her time at Purdue. The 2014 recipient is Audrey Caprio in the College of Health and Human Sciences.
The Tip of the Cap award is presented to students who do not hold a major leadership role in their student organization, but who are "unsung heroes" and rarely receive the recognition deserved. This year's recipients are:
* Jeffrey Kuhn, Agricultural and Biological Engineering.
* Priska Meehan-Numminen, Biomedical Engineering.
* Dakota Cook, Biochemistry.
* Adrienne Cramer, Health and Kinesiology.
* Kristen Ackerman, Communication.
* John Gerhard, Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences.
* Shaina Riciputi, Health and Kinesiology.
The Dean Betty Nelson Service Award honors one Purdue student affiliated with a student organization and one student organization, both of which excel in community service in Greater Lafayette. Mortar Board seeks to recognize those who have been instrumental in the continuing success or initiation of service programs. The recipients are:
* Student organization: Purdue Timmy Global Health.
* Student: Nichole Ramirez, Engineering Education.
The Rose Award is presented to members of the clerical or service staff at Purdue who always go "above and beyond" the call of duty. This year's recipients are:
* Susan Kauffman, Nursing.
* Dottie Adams, Management.
* Adrian Peacock, Ford Dining Court.
* Carmen Williams, Division of Recreational Sports.
* Karen Clymer, Agronomy.
* Cathy Dyer, Computer Science.
* Karen Zerby, Student Success.
* Ronald Nelson, Purdue Memorial Union Dining.
* Betty Burns, Building Services.