April 26, 2016
Convocation recognizes faculty for awards, honors, teaching excellence
Faculty members were recognized Monday (April 25) at the Faculty Awards Convocation for a range of faculty honors given since last year's event, including national and international awards; University and college awards; Fellow awards; and distinguished and named professorships achieved since April 2015.
A full list of the national and international awards and college awards is available here. The awards are broken up under the categories of teaching, research and scholarship, leadership and engagement.
The following University awards were recognized:
* 2016 Charles B. Murphy Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Awards: James Jenkins, construction management; Eric Nauman, mechanical engineering and biomedical engineering, basic medical sciences (by courtesy); Larry Nies, civil engineering and environmental and ecological engineering; Keith Shimko, political science; and Rod Williams, forestry and natural resources.
* 2016 Exceptional Early Career teaching awards: Jessica Cabral, construction management, and Shelley Claridge, chemistry and biomedical engineering.
* 2016 Excellence in Distance Learning awards: Kimberly Kinzig, psychological sciences, undergraduate course; Victoria Walker, curriculum and instruction, and Iryna Ashby, graduate student, graduate course; Atsushi Fukada, languages and cultures, and Mayo Miyamoto, graduate assistant, Innovation Award; James Krogmeier, electrical and computer engineering, professional development/non-credit course award; and Jacob Millspaw, Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne Department of Physics/Division of Continuing Studies, Emerging Technology Award.
* 2015-16 Teaching for Tomorrow Fellowship Awards: Senior fellows: Janet Alsup, English; Clifford Fisher, management; George Hollich, psychological sciences. Junior fellows: Melinda Appold, horticulture and landscape architecture; Amy Brewster, psychological sciences; Matthew Brodhead, educational studies; Shelley Claridge, chemistry; Kendra Erk, materials engineering; Elizabeth Flaherty, forestry and natural resources; Jingwei Hu, mathematics; Joyce Main, engineering education; David Purpura, human development and family studies; Minjung Ryu, curriculum and instruction; Nicholas Sambaluk, computer and information technology; Zoe Taylor, human development and family studies; Janet Thorlton, nursing; and David Whittinghill, computer graphics technology.
* Class of 1922 Outstanding Innovation in Helping Students Learn Award: Matthew Ohland, engineering education, and Daniel Olson, languages and cultures.
* Arden L. Bement Jr. Award: Wojciech Szpankowski, computer science.
* Clifford Kinley Trust Award: Maggie O’Haire, comparative pathobiology.
* Herbert Newby McCoy Award: Arun Ghosh, medicinal chemistry and molecular pharmacology.
* Sigma Xi Faculty Research Award: Mikhail Atallah, computer science.
* Research and Scholarship Distinction Award: Ronnie Wilbur, speech, language, and hearing sciences.
* Committee on Institutional Cooperation's Academic Leadership Program Fellows: Hyunyi Cho, Brian Lamb School of Communication; Nathalie Duval-Couetil, technology leadership and innovation; Joan Fulton, agricultural economics; Catherine Hill, entomology; Christine Hrycyna, chemistry.
* Morrill Awards: Monika Ivantysynova, mechanical engineering and agricultural and biological engineering; Douglas R. Powell, human development and family studies; Phil Wankat, chemical engineering.
* University Faculty Scholars: Larry Adams, veterinary clinical sciences; Nadia Brown, political science; Ulrike Dydak, health sciences; Sonia Fahmy, computer science; Jeffrey Greeley, chemical engineering; Wen Jiang, biological sciences; Michael Johnston, English; Xiaoqi Liu, biochemistry; Alejandra Magana, computer and information technology; Chengde Mao, chemistry; Eric T. Matson, computer and information technology; Tesfaye Mengiste, botany and plant pathology; John Morgan, chemical engineering; Evgenii Narimanov, electrical and computer engineering; Linda Prokopy, forestry and natural resources; Jenna Rickus, agricultural and biological engineering and biomedical engineering; Valeria Sinclair-Chapman, political science; Vikas Tomar, aeronautics and astronautics; Wendy Townsend, veterinary clinical sciences; Sherry Voytik-Harbin, biomedical engineering; and Qianlai Zhuang, earth, atmospheric, and planetary sciences.
* Showalter Faculty Scholars: Greg Hockerman, medicinal chemistry and molecular pharmacology; Shihuan Kuang, animal sciences; and Maria Sepúlveda, forestry and natural resources.
* Provost Fellows: Ximena Arriaga, psychological sciences; Venetria Patton, interdisciplinary studies and English/African American studies; and Jennifer Marston William, languages and cultures.
Named professors (appointed after April 2015) recognized:
Ashraf Alam, Jai N. Gupta Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Audeen Fentiman, Crowley Family Professor in Engineering Education
Melanie Kuhn, Jean Adamson Stanley Chair of Literacy
Issam Mudawar, Betty Ruth and Milton B. Hollander Family Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Srinivas Peeta, Jack and Kay Hockema Professor in Civil Engineering
Rod Salgado, Charles Pankow Professor in Civil Engineering
Kenneth Sandhage, Reilly Professor of Materials Engineering
Scott Sudhoff, Michael and Katherine Birck Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Lynne Taylor, Retter Professor of Pharmacy
Distinguished professors (appointed after April 2015) recognized:
Hilkka Kenttämaa, Distinguished Professor of Chemistry
Robert Lucht, Ralph and Bettye Bailey Distinguished Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Larry Murdock, Distinguished Professor of Entomology
David Nolte, Edward M. Purcell Distinguished Professor of Physics
Arkady Plotnitsky, Distinguished Professor of English
Timothy Ratliff, Distinguished Professor of Comparative Pathobiology
Christopher Staiger, Distinguished Professor of Biological Sciences
Wojciech Szpankowski, Distinguished Professor of Computer Science
Zhong-Yin Zhang, Distinguished Professor and Robert C. and Charlotte P. Anderson Chair in Pharmacology
A full list of the honors and awards is here.