J-1: Employment Information

Types of Employment Available (scroll down for full descriptions)

  • On-Campus
  • Off-Campus
    • Academic training
      • Description
      • How to Apply
    • Severe Economic Hardship 


On campus employment is defined as employment which provides a paycheck from Purdue University. Positions include teaching assistantships, research assistantships, some fellowships, and hourly employment.

Hourly Restrictions 

J-1 students are restricted to the amount of hours per week they may work:

  • Fall/Spring academic semesters: maximum of 20 hours per week
  • Semester breaks, official school/summer vacation: full-time on campus
    • Exception: if a student is required to register for summer (such as with a Graduate Staff appointment), only 20 hours per week maximum permitted

Graduate Assistantships

Students employed as Graduate Staff Appointment (Graduate Student Assistantships; GSA) in the department listed on Form DS 2019 do not need to request this on-campus authorization each semester with ISS. Such students instead need to update the funding on their document to list Purdue University funding.

However, students who secure a GSA position in a different department than the one listed on their Form DS 2019 are required to request employment authorization according to the process below.

Employment Authorization Request Process

To obtain authorization for on-campus hourly employment or a GSA in a different academic department, J-1 students need to have the on-campus employer complete a J-1 Student Employment Information Form and submit it to MyISS for approval during the semester of employment.

Employment Request Process

Gather the documents listed below.

  1. J-1 Student Employment Information Form
  2. Passport
  3. Form I-94
Social Security Number

If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN; assigned to people who will be employed in the US), please submit MyISS>General Services>Ask Student Counselor and ask for access to the Student Social Security Request eform.

If you already have an SSN, please submit MyISS>F-1 and J-1 Student Services>Upload Student Request for J-1's, selecting the option "On-Campus Employment Authorization"


Earliest Employment Start Date

The DS2019 start date (on DS2019 item 3) is the earliest possible employment start date that may be granted by such a request.

Latest Employment End Date

Please note that on-campus employment is not permitted after completion of a degree program unless the student

  • has been issued a DS2019 to begin a new program and intends to enroll for the following semester, or
  • has obtained Academic Training authorization (see below) to be employed on-campus.


Academic Training (AT)


AT is available in a J-1 student´s field of study before completion of a program of study as well as after completion of studies.  Every month in J-1 student status makes a J-1 student eligible for a month of AT up to a maximum duration of 18 months of AT.  An additional 18 months to this maximum is possible for J-1 students who obtain a Ph.D.

How to Apply for Academic Training (AT)

After gathering the documents listed below, merge all into one pdf document and upload to MyISS>F-1 and J-1 Student Services>Upload Student Request>Academic Training

  1. A letter from the prospective employer indicating:
    • Title of position
    • Length of employment including dates and location of employment
    • Annual salary
    • State the position is full or part-time, listing number of hours per week
    • A brief description of the goals and objectives of the employment
    • Name and address of supervisor
  2. Request Form for Academic Training Authorization
  3. Academic Training Authorization Form
  4. Current Form DS 2019
  5. Passport
  6. Form I-94
  7. Additional requirement for J-1 exchange students at Purdue through Study Abroad: Ask the Study Abroad office for confirmation that the home university does not object to your academic training request.

Note: Apply no later than 21 days after the completion of an academic program. AT must be authorized within 30 days of completing the degree. Failure to obtain authorization within 30 days will disqualify a J-1 student from being authorized for AT.

Extension Requests

J-1 students must apply for extensions of AT before the current AT expires following the instructions above.

Severe Economic Hardship

Students who experience a serious, unforeseen economic need which arises after arrival to the US may be able to apply for this special off-campus employment authorization. Students who believe that they may qualify for this option should see an ISS Immigration counselor.