International faculty, staff, postdocs, and scholars at Purdue might need to collect a variety of immigration documents from us 

  • DS-2019s for J-1 visa status holders
  • I-797 receipts and/or approvals for H-1B, E-3, O-1 and TN visa status holders
    • Our office keeps these documents, and lends them to our customers only for specific purposes. We do this because the documents are expensive to replace. We will always supply them to you by request, but please return them promptly when you are finished using them for the specific purpose.
  • Supplement Js for applicants for permanent residence

When are original immigration documents needed?

Original immigration documents are generally needed to

  • Apply or renew driver's licenses
  • Update or apply for Social Security Administration records
  • Apply for visas (either from US consulates abroad or other third country consulates in the USA)

Additionally, J-1 scholars are encouraged to collect new DS-2019s whenever one is generated by International Scholar Services. This happens any time a significant program detail is updated, including during extensions or following transfers. J Scholars will need a complete record of their J-1 (or J-2) presence in the USA if they ever pursue another visa status in future (such as H-1B or F-1) or pursue permanent residence. 

Additionally, we strongly recommend that all our customers keep electronic copies of their immigration documents. If you do not have yours, please email to request this, and we will provide them to you with our secure Filelocker app. Please note that Purdue's Filelocker app removes documents after 30 days. 

Requesting your Document(s)

In general, documents must first be requested. We will email you when they are ready. Documents are only ready for you when we email to confirm that they are ready. 

Scholars holding H-1B, E-3, TN or O-1 status

Please use MyISS to request I-797s and Supplement J (which is part of permanent residence and has nothing to do with J-1 status). To request a document 

  • Go to
  • Click on "Student/Scholar Login" at the bottom of the page
  • Select "University Employment" in the menu on the left
  • Use the following login information
    • Your Purdue University ID (or if you are not yet at Purdue, your temporary ID, which begins with TEMP_____) 
    • Date of Birth
      • if you are not yet at Purdue, use your Limited Services PIN: %pin%
  • Select "International Scholar Documents"
  • Select the appropriate request

Scholars holding J-1 status

DS-2019s are generally issued as part of the request for initial or extended J-1 status, or when J-1 visit details are updated. The Scholar will be emailed when the DS-2019 is ready. We strongly recommend picking up the new DS-2019 from International Scholar Services when it is issued.

Retrieving your Document(s)

Once a document is ready, we can provide documents to you in one of these ways 

  • Shipping the document
  • In-person pickup

Picking up a Document

Please make an appointment by using our Bookings tool (click the QR Code on the right to access the tool).  If you make an appointment, we can have your document ready without unnecessary delay.  At the time of your scheduled appointment, go to Young Hall, 155 S. Grant Street, 5th floor.

Do not make an appointment before we advise you that it is ready. Simply arriving at our offices will not magically make the document available for you. If you schedule an appointment before it is ready, we will cancel the appointment.  

Shipping a Document

Please contact if you want the document shipped to you.