Human Resources offers discounted entry fees for ‘Purdue Boilermaker Half-Marathon & 5K’
Faculty-staff discounts on entries to the 2019 Purdue Boilermaker Half-Marathon & 5K on Oct. 19 are being offered by Human Resources as part of the Healthy Boiler Program. The discount, good through Sept. 30, reduces the entry fee by more than 50% to $25 for the half-marathon, and $11 for the 5k, plus a small processing fee.
“Offering discounted entry fees for the Purdue Half-Marathon and 5K aligns with our goals of the Healthy Boiler Program to not only promote health and wellness among our Purdue community but also to provide opportunities that support that,” said Candace Shaffer, director of benefits in Human Resources. “Being able to give our faculty and staff the ability to participate in a wellness event at a discounted rate on our West Lafayette campus is about as good as it gets.”
On Saturday, October 19, the 2019 Purdue Boilermaker Half-Marathon and 5K event will begin and end at Ross-Ade Stadium. Packet pick-up is from 6 to 8 a.m. at Ross-Ade Stadium. The half-marathon participants will take off at 8 a.m., and the course will take runners and / or walkers through West Lafayette, Lafayette and the Purdue University campus. Those who aren’t interested in the half-marathon have the perfect alternative in the 5K, taking off at 8:10 a.m. for a great tour of campus.
To register, visit the 2019 Purdue Boilermaker Half-Marathon & 5K web page and select either the half-marathon or the 5K. At the end of the registration process, use the code PurdueEWC to receive the discounted registration fee. Note: The discount code expires on September 30 at 11:59 p.m.
There are several local (to the West Lafayette campus) training resources available, including:
- Fleet Feet Sports, located at 500 Sagamore Parkway West in West Lafayette, offers its “Fleet Feet Running Club Training Programs, for both half-marathon ($85) and 5K ($75) distance races. Learn more at http://www.fleetfeetwestlafayette.com/training.
- Health coaches at the Center for Healthy Living (Purdue’s West Lafayette campus) can assist beginner runners as well as walkers in setting goals and preparing for the event. Schedule a walking health coach appointment as an added bonus. For more information, call 765-494-0111 or visit https://www.purdue.edu/hr/CHL/index.php.
- Mobile apps also are available for those who prefer to train on an individual basis. For example, C25K® -- also known as Couch to 5K -- is an eight-week program that uses an audio coach and music to help turn couch potatoes into 5K runners. For more information on C25K® and other apps (Zen Labs Fitness Apps), visit http://www.c25kfree.com/.
Questions can be directed to Human Resources at 765-494-2222, toll free at 877-725-0222 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Specific questions related to the event can be asked by clicking on the “Contact the Organizers” button on the left-hand side of the registration page.
- June 2019 Issue 8
- Employee feedback helps shape 2020 benefits enrollment
- Human Resources offers discounted entry fees for ‘Purdue Boilermaker Half-Marathon & 5K’
- ‘Men’s Health Month’ raises awareness beneficial to men all year long
- Tiered lab benefits help you save money on all three Purdue health plans
- HSA, FSA, HRA card usage available at more locations on West Lafayette campus
- Anywhere you can go, our apps are sure to follow
- Human Resources announces changes to customer service location schedule in Stewart Center
- No-cost MMR vaccine offered at Center for Healthy Living to protect against measles, mumps, rubella
- Mark your calendars: Wellness and family-friendly programs coming up