Purdue University Residency Classification Guidelines

Purpose of the Residency Classification Guidelines

Purdue University enrolls domestic students from all 50 states and international students from around the world. The following Residency Classification Guidelines have been developed to ensure that applicants for admission or enrolled students who believe they are Indiana residents understand why their initial residency classification may be non-resident (or international) and that they may be required to complete a Residence Classification Form and provide additional information to document their residency claim.

Why You Must File a Residency Application

As a state land-grant institution, Purdue's Board of Trustees and the Indiana State Legislature require us to perform all due diligence in determining whether a student may be classified as a resident, non-resident, or international for tuition and fees. New applicants, re-entering students, and current students who claim Indiana resident status where any of the following circumstances apply may be classified with an initial residency of non-resident (or international) and must file a Residence Classification Form. The initial non-resident (or international) status will stand until the student's residency application has been approved for in-state tuition and fees:

  • Your home address is not in Indiana.
  • An educational institution you attended or graduated from is not in Indiana.
  • You are an unemancipated student (financially supported by parents or legal guardian) and your parent/guardian home address is not in Indiana.
  • You are an emancipated student (not financially supported by parents or a legal guardian) and you have not lived or worked in Indiana for 12 months or more.
  • You are not a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident Alien (if you are a Permanent Resident Alien, you must have a Permanent Resident Alien number and card).
  • You, your spouse, partner, or parent is in Indiana for limited or temporary purposes, such as education, internship or medical residency, military assignment or other temporary employment.
  • You are an unemancipated student and a parent lives outside of the state of Indiana.
  • You graduated from a high school outside the state of Indiana and have been a full-time student since moving to Indiana, or have been involved in educational pursuits for the majority of time since high school graduation.

There are other circumstances that may also require you to file a residency application. The above examples are not intended to be an exhaustive list. The University reserves the right to audit prospective or enrolled students at any time regarding eligibility for resident classification and to reclassify students who are classified incorrectly.

Residence Policy

For a copy of university policy pertaining to "Residence Classification of Students for Tuition Purposes," please refer to the University Regulations and Operating Procedures for an online version of the Residence Policy.

United States Military Veterans, Indiana National Guard, and United States Military Reserves

United States military and Indiana National Guard honorably discharged veterans and current Indiana National Guard members are eligible for resident tuition purposes at Purdue University based on Indiana Senate Enrolled Act 177, effective July 1, 2013. Please click this link to refer to Purdue's general approach to SEA 177 implementation and required steps for seeking eligibility for residence tuition under Indiana law.

Residency Form and Filing Deadlines

To download a copy of the residency application for instate classification, along with a detailed instruction sheet, click on Residency Form (PDF).

Applications must be received in the Office of the Registrar by 5 p.m. no later than 15 business days after the first day of the term for which resident classification is sought.

Mail the signed and completed application, along with the requested documentation, to one of the following addresses based upon your campus location:

Fort Wayne Students

Office of the Registrar
2101 Coliseum Blvd.
East Kettler Hall
Fort Wayne, IN 46805

(260) 481-6815

PNW Hammond Students

Office of the Registrar
2200 169th Street
Lawshe Hall
Hammond, IN 46323

(219) 989-2210

PNW Westville Students

Office of the Registrar
1401 South U.S. 421
40 Schwarz Hall
Westville, IN 46391

(219) 785-5459
1-800-872-1231 ext.5459

West Lafayette and Polytechnic Statewide Students

Office of the Registrar
Purdue University
610 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2040

(765) 496-0509

Residency Frequently Asked Questions

To view a copy of answers to frequently asked questions about residency, click on Residency FAQs.

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

2015 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Office of Registrar

Need accessibility help? For help with this page, contact Office of the Registrar at registrar@purdue.edu.