August 6, 2021
Purdue trustees approve 2022 health plans; no employee premium increase for third straight year
HAMMOND, Ind. — Purdue University’s Board of Trustees on Friday (Aug. 6) approved 2022 health plans, which will have no employee premium increase for the third straight year. The plans for 2022 align with the university’s strategic approach to health care and the Healthy Boiler Program initiative, and were designed as part of the ongoing pursuit of improving population health and controlling overall costs for employees and the university.
Changes for the 2022 plan year will be:
- Reducing the fixed or base Purdue health savings account contribution, while increasing the incentive dollars available to employees and spouses who complete a series of preventive screenings, including their physical, biometrics and health risk assessment. The total amount HSA employees can earn remains the same in 2022 as the 2021 incentive year.
- Upgrading the current Healthy Boiler Portal to further promote overall wellness for employees and spouses.
- Transitioning from Anthem to Delta Dental in providing the voluntary dental plan, a move that yields a reduction in overall premiums for employees and the university.
- Continuing to educate, communicate and increase engagement for prior-year initiatives to direct members to high-quality, cost-effective preferred providers in the areas of joint replacement, imaging, physical therapy and concierge services (prescription and cancer services).
- Premium rates for early retirees will increase by 5% – affecting approximately 300 early retirees who are on medical plans.
Overall university cost increases will continue to be significantly less than the national average. According to data from PricewaterhouseCoopers, the national average for university health care has grown nearly 6% annually since 2016, while Purdue has seen only an average increase of 1% annually.
Employees will begin to receive information related to open enrollment 2022 via email the week of Aug. 9 and will continue to receive information about enrollment, benefit changes and more throughout the next few months via mailings to their homes, email, and virtual newsletters from Purdue Benefits and Purdue Today.
Again this year, a dedicated open enrollment webpage will be available beginning Aug. 30 to serve as the online resource for open enrollment 2022. Open enrollment for 2022 will take place beginning Oct. 26 and continuing through 6 p.m. ET on Nov. 9. Employees are encouraged to evaluate all medical plan options and other benefits to ensure that they are selecting the best option for themselves and their family.
About Purdue University
Purdue University is a top public research institution developing practical solutions to today’s toughest challenges. Ranked the No. 5 Most Innovative University in the United States by U.S. News & World Report, Purdue delivers world-changing research and out-of-this-world discovery. Committed to hands-on and online, real-world learning, Purdue offers a transformative education to all. Committed to affordability and accessibility, Purdue has frozen tuition and most fees at 2012-13 levels, enabling more students than ever to graduate debt-free. See how Purdue never stops in the persistent pursuit of the next giant leap at purdue.edu.
Source: Candace Shaffer, email@example.com