August 2, 2019
Purdue Board of Trustees elects officers for 2019-21 biennium
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Purdue University's Board of Trustees on Friday (Aug. 2) re-elected Michael Berghoff as chairman and Tom Spurgeon as vice chairman, and designated a director for the Purdue Fort Wayne Foundation.
Berghoff, of Indianapolis, is founder and president of Lenex Steel Corp., which designs, fabricates and installs structural steel throughout the Midwest. A 1985 graduate of Purdue with a bachelor's degree in industrial management, Berghoff has served as a trustee since 2009. While a Purdue student, he served as chairman of the Purdue Student Publishing Foundation and president of Theta Chi fraternity.
Spurgeon, who has served on the Board of Trustees since 2005, is an entrepreneur who has built companies throughout the United States. He was president and CEO of Lincoln Office in Peoria, Illinois, one of the country's largest distributors of Steelcase furniture. He sold the company in 2001 and remained with Lincoln as a consultant. He earned a bachelor's degree in industrial management from Purdue in 1961 and, following military service, received an MBA from Indiana University.
The trustees also elected the following:
* Corporate secretary — Janice A. Indrutz.
* Treasurer — William Sullivan, Purdue treasurer and chief financial officer (through Dec. 31, 2019).
* Assistant treasurer and assistant secretary— James S. Almond, Purdue senior vice president and assistant treasurer.
* General counsel — Steven R. Schultz, Purdue general counsel.
* Deputy general counsel — Trent Klingerman, Purdue deputy general counsel and chief privacy officer.
Trustees also designated Vicki E. Churchward, a 1983 Purdue Fort Wayne alumnus, as a Purdue director of the Purdue Fort Wayne Foundation Board of Directors.