CIE offering service-learning how-to workshops
January 24, 2013
Four one-hour workshops on service-learning -- its use, design and tools -- are being offered this spring by the Center for Instructional Excellence. The series is designed for faculty and program leaders.
Hundreds of courses at Purdue incorporate service-learning for its benefits to education and the community. As it has grown substantially in the past decade, CIE has provided numerous workshops and promoted research and scholarship in the area.
The current series includes four events this spring, two of which are scheduled already for a repeat in fall semester. Registration links for the spring workshops are included below and are embedded in the event titles at www.purdue.edu/cie/workshop/service-learning-workshops.html. Registration is required. A light meal will be served at each workshop.
For more information about the workshops, contact Margaret Sass, CIE assistant director for service-learning, at email@example.com or 49-44477. Here is the schedule:
* Feb. 5 (Tu) -- "Reflection Writing Through Social Media." 7:45-8:45 a.m. Hicks Undergraduate Library, Room 980D. Learn how to create reflection assignments through Blackboard, Twitter, Facebook, and blogging. Register: http://servicelearningatpurdue.eventbrite.com/
* Feb. 25 (M) -- "Service-Learning 101." Noon-1 p.m. Hicks Undergraduate Library, Room 980D. How to implement service learning into the classroom (What is service learning and how will it help my class?). Register: http://sl101.eventbrite.com/
* March 18 (M) -- "International Service-Learning." Noon-1 p.m. Hicks Undergraduate Library, Room 980D. How to implement service-learning into a study abroad or alternative break course. Register: https://intlsl.eventbrite.com/
* March 19 (Tu) -- "Research and Service-Learning." 7:45-8:45 a.m. Hicks Undergraduate Library, Room 980D. What assessments to use and where to publish. Register: http://researchsl.eventbrite.com/
* Sept. 17 (Tu) -- Service-Learning 101. Noon-1 p.m. Schleman Hall, Room B038. (Same as Feb. 25 workshop.)
* Sept. 24 (Tu) -- Research and Service-Learning. Noon-1 p.m. Schleman Hall, Room B038. (Same as March 19 workshop.)