Lean Principles Certificate
|Lean Principles Certificate Program|
|Course Availability||Every other month|
|Time to Complete||8 weeks|
The online Lean Principles course focuses on the 14 management philosophies practiced in Lean systems for achieving operational excellence. It is part of the three-course series that also encompasses the Lean Six Sigma Green Belt and culminates with the Lean Six Sigma Black Belt. Students can take Lean Principles before or after the Green Belt course or on a stand-alone basis. It focuses on both the Toyota Production System and the Toyota Way. Lean Principles is a harmonious system that incorporates specific tools, quality improvement methods, and a business philosophy based on a deep understanding of people and human motivation. Though based on an automotive manufacturer, discussions and assignments extend beyond manufacturing into a broad range of industries, products and services.
Students will learn a full complement of Lean tools and, cardinally, how Lean principles work together as a system. The Toyota Way refers to the car company’s world view and way of doing business. The Toyota Production System pertains to how the company creates flow and eliminates waste. Together, they form a Lean management philosophy and methodology for dramatically reducing the time between customer orders and product delivery, while also lowering cost, saving space, and maximizing quality. Organizations worldwide study and implement these principles and methods.
Ultimately, students will learn how to use Lean process techniques and methodologies to transform their organizations into Lean enterprises that benefit customers.
To learn more about Purdue University’s online Lean Principles Certification course and download a free brochure, fill out the fields below. You can also call (888) 390-0499 to speak to one of our Program Advisors.
Purdue University respects your right to privacy. By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails and calls from a representative of Purdue University, which may include the use of automated technology. Consent is needed to contact you, but is not a requirement to register or enroll.
Who Can Benefit
- Project managers and process owners who want to learn and apply the 14 Lean management principles and many of the Lean tools used in the Toyota Production System.
- Professionals including financial managers, plant managers, floor supervisors and business owners who are seeking a proven method for dramatically improving their organization’s processes.
- Professionals in health care, education and the military, among many other industries, who are interested in taking the next step toward Lean Six Sigma Black Belt certification.
- Professionals at smaller organizations who want to reduce waste, but lack the time and resources to pursue LSS certification.
- Comprehensive understanding of the Toyota Way philosophy and the Toyota Production System (Lean)
- Complete understanding of the Toyota 4 P Model: Philosophy, Process, People/Partners, and Problem Solving
- Complete understanding of the 14 Principles of the Toyota Way: The foundation of the Toyota Production System practiced at the manufacturer’s plants worldwide
- Comprehensive understanding of each of the rooms in the Toyota Production System House model
Upon successful completion of the program, you will earn certification in Lean Principles from Purdue University. You also have the option, at no additional cost, of earning 3.5 CEUs, which come with a Purdue transcript.
Schedule and Time Commitment
The 100% online, instructor-led Lean Principles course spans eight weeks. The amount of time students must invest to successfully complete this course is comparable to the time it takes to complete a week-long short course in a traditional on-campus environment. Though the online format enables you to do your work when and where you want, there are weekly assignments and quizzes that must be completed on schedule. Instructors recommend that you plan on studying 3.5 to 4 hours each week.