F-1: Dependent Information

F-2 dependents are defined as a spouse or an unmarried minor child (<21 years of age) of an F-1 student.

F-2 dependents:

  • may enter the U.S. with the F-1 student or after the F-1 student arrives in the U.S., but never before
  • cannot be employed and may not volunteer for any opportunity that should be a paid position.
  • must have Form I-20 each time they travel outside the U.S.
  • may be enrolled part-time as a degree seeking or non-degree seeking student at Purdue University (Exception: Elementary, middle school, & high school students)
  • must exit the United States if F-1 student has been outside U.S. >5 months

Inviting an F-2 Dependent
F-1 students may invite a spouse or unmarried children to join them at Purdue University by the providing following document to ISS:

  1. Complete a Student Request Form + Part 5: Dependent Information.
  2. Original evidence of financial support (bank statement, sponsor letter, etc):
    • $700.00 per month for a spouse dependent; 
    • $400.00 per month for the first child dependent;
    • $380.00 per month for each additional child dependent.
  3. Passport copies for each dependent  
  4. Go to https://connect.iss.purdue.edu
  5. Log in using BoilerKey
  6. Click on F-1 and J-1 Student Services
  7. Click on Upload Student Request eform. Scan all documents listed in steps 1-3 into one file and upload them as instructed on this eform

ISS will prepare a dependent I-20 marked "for use by dependents". The dependent(s) will then use the I-20 to apply for an F-2 dependent visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The following items must also accompany the visa application:

  1. Original or attested true copy of marriage certificate (spouse)
  2. Birth Certificate (for each child)
  3. Original financial documentation
  4. Demonstration of residence abroad
  5. DS-160: Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application
  6. Passport for each applicant

When the F-2 dependents arrive in the U.S., the F-1 student must update his/her information to reflect the presence of dependents.  Bring all I-20 documents and family member passports to ISS (136 Schleman Hall) to make copies for our records.

If the F-2 dependent changes his or her status successfully to an F-1, the F-1 principal visa holder must have his/her name and dependent expenses removed from the form I-20. To do this, stop by ISS to request this change on your I-20 by completing the Student Request Form.

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

© 2015 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by International Students and Scholars

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact International Students and Scholars iss@purdue.edu.