January 17, 2014
Appointments, honors and activities
• Appointments and promotions:
- Brian Shepler, clinical associate professor, is assistant dean for experiential education in the College of Pharmacy. His appointment, effective Jan. 13, was made by Craig Svensson, dean of the college. Shepler has served for several years as director of advanced pharmacy practice experiences and will continue in this role. He received both his bachelor's degree and doctorate from Purdue.
- George Bodner, the Arthur Kelly Distinguished Professor of Chemical Education, was re-elected as American Chemical Society District II director for a three-year term.
• Campus activities:
- The College of Science Faculty Committee for Diversity will present an interactive panel discussing how including diversity can improve grant proposals from 12:30-2:30 p.m. on Jan. 28 in Stewart Center, Room 314. The panel speakers will discuss diversity-related funding options, grant writing strategies and awareness of diversity-related projects on campus. More information is available at https://www.science.purdue.edu/news_and_publications/articles/Grant-Diversity-Panel.html
• Faculty and staff honors:
- Eugene Spafford, computer science professor and executive director of Purdue's Center for Education and Research in Information Assurance and Security, has been chosen as one of CareersInfoSecurity's Top 10 Influencers in shaping how organizations and leaders approach information security careers in 2014. Spafford was chosen by CareersInfoSecurity's team of editors based on feedback from its board of advisers and other information security thought leaders. He is a member of the National Cyber Security Hall of Fame.
- Trio Quelque Chose, a musical group led by Greg Kostraba, recently released a CD recording of "Indiana Dunes," composed by Harry T. Bulow, for violin, French horn and piano. Kostraba is program director at WBAA and a pianist. Bulow is head of Visual and Performing Arts and composes music. Written in 2011, Bulow said the piece is "an attempt to reflect the unique character of the dunes and the busy populations that frequent its coastline." The dunes are located along the southeast portion Lake Michigan and northwest coastline of Indiana. The album is available at CD Baby, iTunes, Amazon and other online sources. More information is available at http://kickshawrecords.com/
- Purdue's Engineering Professional Education program was ranked 6th among online engineering graduate programs by U.S. News and World Report. Programs were ranked based on factors including academic reputation among peer institutions, faculty credentials and training, student services and technology, student engagement, and admissions selectivity. More information is available at http://www.usnews.com/education/online-education
- Purdue College of Education's learning design and technology program was ranked 61st among online education graduate programs by U.S. News and World Report, jumping from 100 a year earlier. Programs were ranked based on factors including level of accreditation, faculty credentials and training, student services and technology, student engagement, and admissions selectivity. More information is available at http://www.usnews.com/education/online-education