Appointments, honors and activities
June 20, 2013
• Appointments and promotions:
- Maricela Alvarado, the inaugural director of the Latino Cultural Center, is leaving that post. Toni Munguia will serve as interim director of the LCC until a permanent director is selected. Munguia is director of the College of Technology's diversity programs. Alvarado, who came to Purdue in 2004, and her family are moving to St. Louis. Her last day at Purdue will be June 28. She plans to continue her work on a doctoral degree in curriculum and instruction from Purdue's College of Education and explore job opportunities. She will be honored at a public gathering from 3:30-5 p.m. June 24 in the Hovde/Elliott Breezeway. Light refreshments will be served at the event, which is being hosted by G. Christine Taylor, vice provost for diversity and inclusion.
- Hyunyi Cho, professor of communication, has been named associate dean for research and graduate education for the College of Liberal Arts. Her appointment is effective July 1.
- Marifran Mattson, professor of communication, has been named the interim head of the Brian Lamb School of Communication. The school is housed in the College of Liberal Arts. Her appointment was effective June 17.
- Madeleine Henry, a professor of classical studies from Iowa State University, has been named the head of the School of Languages and Cultures. The school is housed in the College of Liberal Arts. Henry's appointment is effective Aug. 1.
- Indrajeet Chaubey, a professor of earth, atmospheric and planetary sciences and agricultural and biological engineering, has been named head of the Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences. His appointment is effective July 29.
- Kim Weldy is the new administrative assistant in the Office of the Board of Trustees, supporting the corporate secretary and legal counsel. She previously worked as development coordinator for Purdue Libraries and replaces Ann Hanna, who retired in April.