Appointments, honors and activities
May 17, 2013
• Appointments and promotions:
- Eugene H. Spafford, executive director of Purdue's Center for Education and Research in Information Assurance and Security (CERIAS) and computer science professor, has been named to the Electronic Privacy Information Center's - EPIC - advisory board. The EPIC Advisory Board is a distinguished group of experts in law, technology, and public policy. EPIC is a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy, the First Amendment, and constitutional values.
• Faculty and staff honors:
- Ralph Kaufmann, professor of mathematics and his wife, Erika Kaufmann, assistant professor of mathematics and physics, have both received fellowships from the Simons Foundation. Ralph Kaufmann's fellowship is in mathematics and Erika Kaufmann's fellowship is in theoretical physics. The fellowships allow recipients to extend a sabbatical leave from a semester to a full year. Fifty-five scientists received awards this year. For more information, visit https://simonsfoundation.org/funding/funding-opportunities/mathematics-physical-sciences/simons-fellow-program/
- Daniel Morris, a professor of English, published "Lyric Encounters: Essays on American Poetry From Lazarus and Frost to Ortiz Cofer and Alexie." The book, published by Bloomsbury Press, focuses on 20th century U.S. poetry that places a special emphasis on poets who have put lyric poetry in dialogue with other forms of creative expression, including modern art, the novel, jazz, memoir and letters. More information is available at http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/lyric-encounters-9781441110176/
• Alumni honors:
- Purdue alumni Tara Timpel Gidus, Eva Goble, Rosalyn Franta Kulik, Rosemary Rodibaugh and Robert B. Rucker were inducted into the Department of Nutrition Science's Hall of Fame for their contributions in the field of dietetics and nutrition science.
* Gidus is a nationally recognized spokesperson on nutrition, fitness and health promotion and is the author of "Pregnancy Cooking & Nutrition for Dummies."
* Goble was the dean of the School of Home Economics in 1967. She also was known for her work in Indiana's Cooperative Extension Service.
* Kulik served in various executive positions at Kellogg and then as a management consultant. In 1998, she co-founded the Nutrition in Complementary Care (now, Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine) group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
* Rodibaugh is a professor in the Division of Agriculture Cooperative Extension Service at the University of Arkansas.
* Rucker is a distinguished professor emeritus from both the Department of Nutrition and the School of Medicine at the University of California Davis.
More information about each almunus is available at http://www.cfs.purdue.edu/fn/about/awards/hall_fame.html