Purdue's United Way campaign kicks off today
September 10, 2015
From left: Stephanie Patacsil, campaign director for United Way of Greater Lafayette; Pam Horne, Purdue United Way Campaign vice chair and vice provost for enrollment management; Olivia Wood, PURA (Purdue University Retirees Association) president; Melinda Bain, PURA vice president; Julie Griffith, Purdue United Way Campaign chair and vice president for public affairs; and Becky Hershey, director of Purdue United Way. (Purdue University photo/Mark Simons)
Purdue's 2015 United Way campaign begins today (Sept. 10) with the goal of raising $760,000 for local human services agencies. The campaign will end Nov. 10.
This year's Purdue campaign theme is called "Windows of Opportunity." Pledge cards and posters will be personally delivered to each area's senior/junior chairs. Team captains will help distribute among each of their respective departments. The Purdue campaign's goal is about 15 percent of the United Way of Greater Lafayette Campaign's goal, which is $5 million.
"I am both proud and excited to serve as your chair for this year's Purdue United Way campaign," says Julie Griffith, vice president for public affairs. "The United Way of Greater Lafayette partners with agencies that believe the best way to improve lives is to mobilize the caring power of our community. We are all in this together, and we are committed to strengthening our community by supporting children and families, providing for basic needs and, most importantly, working together every step of the way."
The Purdue campaign's vice chair is Pam Horne, vice provost for enrollment management. For more information about the United Way campaign, view this video.
Cards can be returned to the team captain in their department or sent in campus mail directly to Purdue United Way Gift Processing at Dauch Alumni Center (DAUC) in the envelope provided.
Donations also may be made via credit card by visiting www.uwlafayette.org/givenow-purdue.html.
Donations will benefit 22 United Way participating organizations that serve Lafayette, West Lafayette, Tippecanoe County and many surrounding counties. Those donating can specify which counties or United Way program or organizations they would like their gifts to benefit.
The goal of Purdue's United Way campaign is to ensure that all employees have the opportunity to make an informed decision about whether and how much to give to United Way. Giving is voluntary and confidential. Purdue United Way trains volunteers in the fashion of the non-coercion policy set by United Way of Greater Lafayette.
* Those who give at least $20 more than last year to United Way will receive a special ticket price for the Sept. 26 home football game against Bowling Green. Pledges must be received by Sept. 17.
* Those who give at least $20 more than last year will receive a buy-one-get-one-free offer for Mark Morris Dance Group's "Dido and Aeneas" through Purdue Convocations. The promotion is available on a first-come, first-served basis and is limited to 500.
* Every new gift or increase of $100 will be matched dollar for dollar thanks to a grant from Eli Lilly Endowment.
* Vanguard donors who increase their gift will receive Shively Outdoor Club tickets for $100 each or Buchanan Indoor Club tickets, which includes premium food, for $150 each. Pledges must be received by Sept. 17.
For more information
* Purdue United Way office: 49-49240 or www.purdue.edu/unitedway.
* Purdue's 2015 campaign advocates are available to give presentations about the mission and impact of United Way. The advocates' presentations describe and give examples of the local efforts of the 22 United Way participating organizations and other affiliated programs. During the presentations, the advocates also will answer questions about United Way and the ongoing campaign. Advocates can be invited to present at a faculty and/or staff meeting. To schedule a presentation, contact Becky Hershey, Purdue United Way director, at 765-494-9240 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Writer: Valerie O'Brien, 765-494-9573, email@example.com