Human Resources provides details about HSA and FSA debit cards
December 16, 2013
Faculty and staff who will be participating in a health savings account (HSA) or flexible spending account (FSA) in 2014, and do not already have a PayFlex debit card, should watch for their debit cards to arrive soon in their home mail.
Participants who already have a debit card will continue to use the same card in 2014 and will not receive a new one.
Human Resources has provided the following information to help employees know what to expect regarding their debit cards as they transition to 2014.
For those receiving a new debit card
* New cards will arrive in late December in a plain white envelope. PayFlex will send one card in the employee's name. Additional cards may be ordered through the PayFlex website at http://purdue.healthhub.com.
For those who already have a debit card
* Employees who already have a PayFlex debit card will continue to use the card until its expiration date, which is five years after it was first issued. This includes employees who have had a debit card for a health care FSA in 2013 and will be changing to an HSA in 2014, or vice versa. The same card will work for 2014, regardless of which type of account the employee has.
* Employees who have a 2013 FSA may use their debit card for their 2013 account through Dec. 31. After that date, the card will be good only for 2014 expenses, and employees will need to submit a paper claim to be reimbursed for any remaining 2013 FSA expenses. Claims for 2013 must be filed by March 31, 2014. For more information, go http://purdue.healthhub.com.
For both groups
* Faculty and staff who have both an HSA and a limited purpose FSA will use the same card for both accounts. Dental and vision charges made to the debit card will be deducted from the employee's limited purpose FSA. If funds in the limited purpose FSA run out, dental and vision charges will be deducted from the employee's HSA. Charges for expenses other than dental and vision will be deducted from the employee's HSA.
* Faculty and staff who enrolled in an HSA medical plan for the first time for 2014 received a welcome email from PayFlex on Dec. 12. The email is from "HSA Service Center" and provides helpful information for new HSA participants.For more information, contact the HR Service Center at 49-42222, email@example.com or HR Help at www.purdue.edu/hrhelp.