6 Purdue students receive full ride with option to attend graduate school
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Six students, including three from Indiana, were selected as Purdue University Beering Scholars, which covers full educational expenses for a bachelor's degree and the opportunity to pursue two other graduate degrees.
"The scholarship allows the recipients, selected by merit, to pursue almost unlimited educational opportunities without concern of cost or incurring debt," said Jo Ann Brown, senior associate director of admissions.
The awardees can pursue one bachelor's degree, one master's degree or an MBA, and one doctorate degree at Purdue or medical school through Indiana University. The program also covers related educational expenses and a one-semester study abroad opportunity.
The Beering Scholarship Program was created by Purdue's ninth president, Dr. Steven C. Beering, who raised private funds for the endowment.
The 2010 scholars, who will join 18 continuing Beering Scholars, include:
* Christopher Brian Bosma, Indianapolis, first-year engineering, multidisciplinary program.
* Eric Robert Nielsen, West Lafayette, Ind., first-year engineering, mechanical engineering.
* Christopher Lee Hanselman, New Palestine, Ind., first-year engineering, undecided program.
* Michael Aaron Lively, Waterford, Mich., first-year engineering, electrical and computer engineering.
* Johanna Rennie Smith, Somerset, Wis., first-year engineering, chemical engineering.
* Andrew Norbert Martin, Decatur, Ill., first-year engineering, civil engineering.
An invitation to apply for the program is sent to the academically top-standing high school seniors who are admitted by mid-December. On average, more than 100 students are invited to apply each year. Finalists - selected by a group of faculty, staff and current Beering Scholars - are invited to campus for an interview. The number of awards varies each year, and students from Indiana are always offered an award.
Writer: Amy Patterson Neubert, 765-494-9723, email@example.com
Source: Jo Ann Brown, 765-494-1776, firstname.lastname@example.org