June 23, 2022
Purdue University Global awards Purdue Day of Giving student scholarships
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Ansley Mbah has been interested in technology since she got her first cell phone.
Now, on the verge of earning a Bachelor of Science degree in cybersecurity from Purdue University Global, Mbah is one of 21 Purdue University Global students to receive a Purdue Day of Giving Completion Scholarship.
“The phone was so expensive, and it was fascinating,” said Mbah, who lives in Fort Wayne, Indiana, after moving there from Atlanta four years ago. “Growing up I wanted to be a doctor, but it didn’t work out for me. I like the world of technology and want to protect and help others this way. I’m planning to get certified in my field.”
The scholarship will help Mbah finish her last two classes – ethics in cybersecurity and a capstone course. She plans on taking part in commencement ceremonies Oct. 22 in West Lafayette.
Mbah has worked while attending Purdue University Global and appreciates the support of her instructors.
“Everyone has been so understanding,” she said. “That makes it so much easier. (Chris) Esquire (information technology faculty member) was so great and seemed to really care. My experience has been great. Maybe someday I will get a master’s degree.”
In the meantime, Mbah hopes to get a job at the Fort Wayne VA Medical Center, where she has interned and also where her mother is a doctor.
“We are excited to have Ansley join the cyber community and share her expertise to make society safer and meet the increasing demand for cybersecurity professionals,” said Tina Burton, associate dean for the Purdue University Global School of Business and Information Technology, who had the pleasure of informing Mbah that she was a scholarship recipient. “She was definitely surprised about the scholarship and grateful.”
Each of the Purdue Day of Giving Completion Scholarship recipients boast a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.0 and are within 30 credits of graduating from one of Purdue University Global’s eligible programs. The recipients are:
- Verah Bart-Williams, B.S., Legal Support and Services – Paralegal; Murphy, Texas
- Lashandra Bittle, B.S., Health Care Administration; Columbia, South Carolina
- Mia Black, S., Nutrition; Amarillo, Texas
- Lakendria Brown, B.S., Human Services in Youth/Family Services and Administration; Dallas
- Erin Eitler, B.S., Health Care Administration; Elkhart, Indiana
- Chelsea Fox, B.S., Nutrition, Butler, Pennsylvania
- Allison Fowler, B.S., Legal Support and Services; Bethpage, New York
- Brittany Gustafson, B.S., Psychology in Applied Behavior Analysis; Dover, New Hampshire
- Madilyn Harms, B.S., Legal Support and Services – Paralegal; Sumner, Iowa
- Tiffaney Houston, B.S., Health and Wellness; Lake Station, Indiana
- Kemisha Isaac, B.S., Human Services in Youth/Family Services and Administration; Brooklyn, New York
- Melissa Mastrup, B.S., Health Care Administration; New Orleans
- Ansley Mbah, B.S., Cybersecurity; Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Isaac Miller, B.S., Business Administration – Supply Chain Management and Logistics; Bowling Green, Ohio
- Julia Phelps, B.S., Human Services in Youth/Family Services and Administration; Indianapolis, Indiana
- Jenny Rodriguez, B.S., Nursing, Saranac Lake, New York
- Natalie Rodriguez, B.S, Accounting – Public Accountancy; Miami
- Insia Sami, B.S., Information Technology – Programming and Software Development; Villa Park, Illinois
- Tricia Santos, B.S., Nutrition; Warsaw, Indiana
- Emily Tarlip, B.S., Business Administration – Management; Fort Collins, Colorado
- Amanda Young, B.S., Psychology in Applied Behavior Analysis; St. Louis
The most recent Purdue Day of Giving – the one-day, Purdue University systemwide fundraising effort – raised $63,341 from 1,904 gifts for Purdue University Global students on April 28.
About Purdue University Global
Purdue University Global delivers personalized online education tailored to the unique needs of adults who have work or life experience beyond the classroom, enabling them to develop essential academic and professional skills with the support and flexibility they need to achieve their career goals. It offers personalized paths for students to earn an associate, bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree, based on their work experience, desired pace, military service, previous college credits and other considerations – no matter where they are in their life journey. Purdue University Global is a nonprofit, public university accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. It is affiliated with Purdue University’s flagship institution, a highly ranked public research university located in West Lafayette, Indiana. Purdue University also operates regional campuses in Fort Wayne and Northwest Indiana, as well as serving science, engineering and technology students at the Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) campus. For more information, visit purdueglobal.edu.
Writer/Media Contact: Tom Schott, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sources: Frank Dooley