Journal Articles Per Year (total n: 29; 23 peer-reviewed)
2017 (6 peer-review and 1 invited articles)
- Mishra, Sheppard, J.J., Kantarcigil, C., Gordon, A.M., & Malandraki, G.M. (in press). Novel mealtime duration measures: Reliability and preliminary associations with clinical feeding and swallowing performance in self-feeding children with cerebral palsy. American Journal of Speech Language Pathology.
- Mourao,F., Friel, K., Sheppard, J.J., Kuo, H.S., Luchesi, K., Gordon, A.M., & Malandraki, G.M. (2017). The role of the corpus callosum in pediatric dysphagia: preliminary findings from a Diffusion Tensor Imaging study in children with unilateral spastic cerebral palsy. Dysphagia, 32(5), 703-713.
- Sheppard, J.J., Malandraki, G.A., Hemsley, , Troche, M., Balandin, S., Hochman, R., Pifer, P., Cuff, J., & Mishra, A. (2017). Validation of the Choking Risk Assessment and Pneumonia Risk Assessment for adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disability (IDD). Research in Developmental Disabilities, 69, 61-76.
- Rajappa, T., Soriano, K., Zeimer, C., Troche, M.S., Bauer Malandraki, J., & Malandraki, G.A. (2017). Reduced maximum pitch elevation predicts silent aspiration of small liquid volumes in stroke patients. Frontiers in Neurology (Stroke), 8, 436. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2017.00436.
- Kantarcigil, & Malandraki, G.A. (2017). First step in telehealth assessment: A randomized controlled trial to investigate the effectiveness of an electronic case history form for dysphagia. Dysphagia, 32(4), 548-558.
- Georgopoulos, V.C., Perdikogianni, M., Mouskenteri, M., Psychogiou L., Oiconomou M., Malandraki, G.A. (2017). Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of the SWAL-QOL questionnaire in Greek. doi: 10.1007/s00455-017-9837-8.
- Malandraki, G.A., & Kantarcigil, C. (2017). Telehealth for dysphagia rehabilitation: The present and the future. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, SIG18. (Invited and peer-reviewed)
2016 (3 peer-review and 3 invited articles)
- Malandraki, G.A., Rajappa, A., Kantarcigil, C., Wagner, E., Ivey, C., & Youse, K. (2016). The Intensive Dysphagia Rehabilitation (IDR) approach for neurogenic dysphagia: A Case-Series Design Study. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 97, 567-574.
- Kantarcigil, C., Sheppard, J.J., Gordon, A.M., Friel, K., & Malandraki, G.A. (2016). A telehealth approach to conducting clinical swallowing evaluations in children with cerebral palsy. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 55, 207-217.
- Malandraki, G.A., Markaki, V., Georgopoulos, V.C., Psychogios, L., & Nanas, S. (2016). Post-extubation dysphagia in critical patients: a first report from the largest step-down ICU of Greece. American Journal of Speech Language Pathology, 25, 150-156.
- Ciucci, M., Jones, C.A., Malandraki, G.A., & Hutcheson, K.A. (2016). Dysphagia Practice in 2035: Beyond Fluorography, Thickener, and Electrical Stimulation. Seminars in Speech and Language, 37(3), 201-18. (Invited)
- Wagner, E., & Malandraki, G.A. (2016). The development and impact of a university-based Dysphagia Research Clinic in the education of graduate students. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, SIG13, 1(Part 3), 113-121. (Invited and peer-reviewed)
- Rajappa,, & Malandraki, G.A. (2016). The neural control of oropharyngeal somatosenation and taste: A review for clinicians. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, SIG13, 1(Part 1), 48-55. (Invited and peer-reviewed)
2015 (1 peer-review and 1 invited articles)
- Mishra, A., Rajappa, A., Tipton, E., & Malandraki, G.A. (2015). The Recline Exercise: comparisons with the head lift exercise in healthy adults. Dysphagia, 30(6), 730-737.
- Rogus-Pulia, N., Malandraki, G.A., Johnson, S., & Robbins, J. (2015). Understanding dysphagia in dementia: The present and the future. Current Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Reports, 3, 86-97. (Invited)
2012-2014 (3 peer-review articles)
- Malandraki, G.A., Roth, M., & Sheppard, J.J. (2014). Telepractice in pediatric dysphagia: A case study. International Journal of Telerehabilitation, 6(1), 3-16.
- Malandraki, G.A., Markaki, V., Georgopoulos, V.C., Bauer, J.L., Kalogeropoulos, I., & Nanas, S. (2013). An international pilot study of asynchronous teleconsultation for oropharyngeal dysphagia. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 19(2), 75-9.
- Malandraki, G.A., Kauffman, A., Hind, J., Kays, S., Gangnon, R., Waclawik, A., & Robbins, J. (2012). The effects of lingual intervention in a patient with Inclusion Body Myositis and Sjögren’s syndrome: A longitudinal case study. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 93(8), 1469-75.
2011 (5 peer-review and 1 invited articles)
- Malandraki, G.A., McCullough, G., He, X., McWeeny, E., & Perlman, A.L. (2011). Teledynamic evaluation of oropharyngeal swallowing. Journal of Speech Language and Hearing Research, 54, 1485-1496.
- Malandraki, G.A., Hind, J., Gangnon, R., Logemann, J., & Robbins, J. (2011). The utility of pitch elevation in the evaluation of oropharyngeal dysphagia: Preliminary findings. American Journal of Speech and Language Pathology, 20(4), 262-268.
- Humbert, I., McLaren, D., Malandraki, G.A., Johnson, S., & Robbins, J. (2011). Swallowing intentional off-state in aging and Alzheimer’s disease: preliminary study. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, 26(2): 347-354.
- Paine, T.L., Conway, C.A., Malandraki, G.A., & Sutton, B.P. (2011). Simultaneous dynamic and functional MRI scanning (SimulScan) of natural swallows. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 65(5), 1247-1252.
- Malandraki, G.A., Perlman, A.L., Karampinos, D., & Sutton, B.P. (2011). Reduced somatosensory activations in swallowing with age. Human Brain Mapping, 32(5), 730-743.
- Malandraki, G.A., Johnson, S., & Robbins, J. (2011). Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging of swallowing function: From neurophysiology to neuroplasticity. Head and Neck, 33 Suppl 1, S14-20. (Invited)
2003-2008 (5 peer-review articles)
- Malandraki, G.A., Sutton, B.P., Perlman, A.L., & Karampinos, D.C. (2010). Age-related differences in laterality of cortical activations in swallowing. Dysphagia, 25(3): 238-249.
- Malandraki, G.A., Sutton, B.P., Perlman, A.L., Karampinos, D.C., & Conway, C. (2009). Neural activation of swallowing and swallowing-related tasks in healthy young adults: An attempt to separate the components of deglutition. Human Brain Mapping, 30(10): 3209-3226.
- Stylios, C.D., Georgopoulos, V.C., Malandraki, G.A., & Chouliara, S. (2008). Fuzzy cognitive map architectures for medical decision support systems. Applied Soft Computing, 8, 1243-1251.
- Malandraki, G.A., & Okalidou, A. (2007). The application of PECS in children with autism and deafness: A case study. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities, 22, 23-32.
- Georgopoulos, V., Malandraki, G.A., & Stylios, C. (2003). A fuzzy cognitive map approach to differential diagnosis of Specific Language Impairment. Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, 29, 261-178.
Book chapters on Dysphagia (n=5)
- Malandraki, G.A., & Bauer Malandraki, J. (in press). Oropharyngeal dysphagia in children with cerebral palsy. In M. Gosa & D. Suiter (Eds.), Dysphagia: Diagnosis and treatment in children and adults. New York: Thieme.
- Sheppard, J.J. & Malandraki, G.A. (2015). Pediatric Dysphagia. In G. Mankekar (Ed), Swallowing Diseases, Diagnosis and Management, pp. 161-188. Springer, India.
- Malandraki, G.A. & Robbins. J. (2013). Dysphagia. In M.J. Aminoff, F. Boller, and D.F. Swaab (Eds), Neural Rehabilitation: Handbook of Clinical Neurology, 3rd Series, Volume 110, pp. 255-271. Elsevier.
- Malandraki, G.A. & Robbins, J. (2013). Effects of Aging on Oral Contributions to Deglutition. In R. Shaker, C. Easterling, G. Postma, & P. Belasky, Principles of Deglutition: A Multidisciplinary Text for Swallowing and its Disorders, pp. 137-149. Springer, New York.
- Malandraki, G.A. & Markaki, V. (2011). Traumatic Brain Injury with Intubation and Oropharyngeal Dysphagia: A case study. In A. Koronaios, D. Zervakis, and S. Nanas (Eds) Clinical Intensive Care: Current trends, pp. 123-135. Athens, GR : Gramma (in Greek language).
Media Articles/Coverage and Online Articles
Retrospective Clinical Studies: Using Existing Data to Inform Current Research (WEB2800): Online ASHA CEU course highlighting the article: “Postextubation Dysphagia in Critical Patients: A First Report from the Largest Step- Down Intensive Care Unit in Greece, by Malandraki, Markaki, Georgopoulos, Psychogios, & Nanas. Available at: https://shar.es/1RHdZh
Kantarcigil, C. & Malandraki, G.A. (2016). The Rise of Telehealth in the United States: The present and the future of dysphagia telerehabilitation. Invited article on Dysphagia Cafe website. Available at: http://dysphagiacafe.com/2016/08/24/rise-telehealth-united-states-present-future-dysphagia-telerehabilitation/
Purdue I-EaT Swallowing Research Lab Engagement Event Announcement. Pals of Cerebral Palsy. Media coverage by the Purdue Health Sciences media: Available at: http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2015/Q2/open-house-event-to-focus-on-swallowing-disorders,-cerebral-palsy.html.
Malandraki, G.A. (2014). International Faculty Spotlight in the ASHA Asian Indian Caucus (ASHA Kiran) Newsletter. Available at: https://drive.google.com/a/tc.columbia.edu/file/d/0B-5WABFGFFXYNlp0N2tDSmEyaWs/view
Malandraki, G.A. (2014). What fMRI can tell us about Swallowing? Invited article on Dysphagia Cafe website. Available at: http://dysphagiacafe.com/2014/04/10/1454/
Swallowing Clinic at Teachers College, Columbia University (2013). National Fox News – Health Section led by Dr. Manny Alvarez. This media piece was aired on May 16th 2013. Available at: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/05/16/new-technique-helps-stroke-patients-swallow-again/
Malandraki, G.A., McCullough, G., & Perlman, A. (2012, April 24). Dysphagia Assessment at a Distance. The ASHA Leader. Available at: http://www.asha.org/Publications/leader/2012/120424/Dysphagia-Assessment-at-a-Distance.htm
If you would like to request a copy of any of our publications, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are always very happy to share our research!