Overview of CPT

The Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) defines Curricular Practical Training (CPT) as an alternative study, internship, cooperative education, or other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by a sponsoring employer through a U.S. College or University.  

CPT is only available for current F-1 students when it is part of an established curriculum within a school. CPT must be integral to your major program of study. It cannot be authorized for work related to your minor, concentration, or previous major.

CPT is not intended for general, ongoing work authorization, or as a bridge to employment after graduation. True volunteer work (i.e., at a food bank or animal shelter) does not require CPT. However, any internship, whether it is paid or unpaid, requires CPT authorization.

If authorized, CPT authorization is for specific dates, a specific employer, and specific location. Any practical training or employment that begins prior to the authorized start date or occurs after the authorized end date is considered unauthorized employment and will result in the loss of your legal status inside the US. This include “volunteering” and participating in orientation, training, or welcome sessions with a prospective employer. ISS requires 10 business days to process a CPT application, so please plan accordingly.

 Source: [8 CFR 214.2(f)(10)(i)]

Who Is Eligible to Apply for CPT

You may be eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) if you:

  • Are currently in valid F-1 student status
  • Have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year (i.e. two full consecutive fall/spring semesters)
    • Exceptions to the one academic year requirement are provided for students enrolled in graduate studies that require immediate participation in curricular practical training. If your degree program requires employment authorization before you have met the academic year requirements, please see an ISS counselor.
    • Note: if you’ve had a gap in study or a status violation, the one academic year is recalculated from the date you have obtained valid F-1 status.
  • Have a job offer for a job directly related to your major field of study
    • The job offer must be an official job offer letter on company letterhead that is signed by the prospective employer. It must include the company name, the physical address where you will be working, the start and end dates of employment, the hours per week, and your job duties.
  • Are in a major (undergraduate students who have not declared a major are not yet eligible for CPT)

Types of CPT

ISS can only authorize CPT if you meet all eligibility requirements, and the proposed employment is directly related to your major field of study and meets one of the two conditions below:

  • Required for Degree Completion
    • For students in programs which require practical training to earn a degree. This requirement must be formally documented in your department’s publications. Included in this category is employment in a required internship or practicum. There are only a few academic programs at Purdue which require off-campus employment for all degree candidates.

  • Recommended for Academic Credit

    • For students in programs which do not require practical training, but for whom the training would be highly recommended. This may include:

      • Graduate students in dissertation or thesis status where the student’s research involves innovative technology only available at that particular corporation or research facility, or where the employment involves collecting data essential for completing the dissertation/thesis.

      • Students completing requirements for a course that is a part of an established curriculum.

Course Requirement for CPT

All students authorized for CPT (regardless of whether it is required or recommended) must enroll in, pay for, and complete the course associated with the CPT authorization. The course must appear on your academic transcript, and you must receive a completed grade. You must take the course in the same semester for which you are authorized for CPT.

The specific course required for CPT varies by department. You must discuss the course requirement with your academic advisor. The number of credit hours may also vary from zero to three or more.

How is CPT Authorized?

A request for authorization for curricular practical training must be made to the ISS office: authorization for CPT is granted by a Designated School Official (DSO) (aka Immigration Counselor). A student may begin curricular practical training only after receiving her/his I-20 with the DSO endorsement/authorization of CPT. Your CPT authorization will be printed on the second page of your I-20, and this is what you can show your employer to prove you have work authorization. (You do not receive an Employment Authorization Document, or EAD card, for CPT.)

The CPT authorization is based very specifically on the employer, location, and start and end dates provided in your offer letter. The authorization is also based on the specific course that your academic advisor indicates that you need to take in conjunction with the employment. If anything about your employment or the course is going to change, you MUST receive authorization from ISS first before the change happens. ISS will need written documentation in advance from your employer to make the new authorization. Any requests to change your CPT authorization should be given a minimum of one week in advance.


Important Note: Working outside of what is authorized on your I-20 is a very serious violation of your F1 status.


  • Example of Correct Procedure in CPT Change: You have been authorized to work at Intel from 5/18/16 – 8/10/16. Close to the end of your internship, your supervisor asks you to stay an extra week until 8/17/16 to finish a project. For you to be able to do this, your employer writes an email to the ISS Immigration Counselor who authorized your CPT indicating the exact new end date of 8/17/16, and sends the email on 8/01/16. The Immigration Counselor approves the change and prints a new I-20 with the new end date for you. You finish your project and internship on good terms.


  • Example of Incorrect Procedure in CPT Change: You have been authorized to work at Intel from 5/18/16 – 8/10/16. Close to the end of your internship, your supervisor asks you to stay an extra week until 8/17/16 to finish a project. You are too busy working and forget to do anything. You remember on 8/11/16 and call ISS to inform them your CPT needs to be extended. Unfortunately you have already worked one extra day beyond your CPT authorization, so you are already out of status. ISS informs you that this violation jeopardizes your ability to remain in the US and that you should come in to the office to discuss your options. 

When to Apply for CPT and When is CPT Authorized?

When to Apply

You may apply for CPT up to 90 days before the end of the semester prior to when you would like to begin working on CPT. You must apply no later than 10 business days prior to your intended start date to give ISS sufficient time to process your application.

  • Ex. You have a summer internship offer and intend to start on 5/18/2017. You may start the CPT application process as early as 02/17/2017.

When is CPT Authorized 

CPT can be authorized for fall, spring, and summer semesters, and is authorized on a semester-by-semester basis. A new CPT application (including all necessary application documents and registration of CPT course) is required for each semester, including summer sessions. If you exceed one year of full-time CPT, you become ineligible to for Optional Practical Training (OPT).

Undergraduates and Master’s Non-Thesis students may not participate in CPT in their final semester unless the practical training is required for degree completion.

CPT may be part-time (20 hours per week or less) or full-time (more than 20 hours per week).

  • Full-time CPT: Employment for more than 20 hours per week is considered full-time. If you accumulate more than one year of full-time CPT authorization, you lose your eligibility to apply for OPT. Full-time CPT authorization and enrollment in your CPT course meets the normal full-time registration requirement during fall and spring semesters if the number of working hours per week is equal to or greater than 32 hours.  Working 21 - 31 hours per week does NOT meet the full-time enrollment requirement and must be combined with other coursework to meet full-time enrollment requirements.
  • Part-time CPT: Employment for 20 hours per week or less if considered part-time. There is no limitation in the length of time you may participate in part-time CPT, as long as it continues to meet all requirements for CPT authorization. Part-time CPT does not have an effect on OPT eligibility. If you are authorized for part-time CPT during a fall or spring semester, you must also be registered full-time as a student (12 hours for undergraduates, 8 hours for graduate students) and taking the classes on campus.

How to Apply for CPT

Step 1: Learn about CPT

Review CPT information on ISS website: https://www.iss.purdue.edu/PracticalTraining/CPT.cfm

Step 2: Obtain job offer letter

Find a job and obtain an official offer letter. The letter must be on company letterhead that is signed by the prospective employer. The letter must include the company name, the physical address where you will be working, the start and end dates of employment, the hours per week, and your job duties. Circle the required information on the offer letter. If your offer letter is missing any of this information, you may obtain an email with the additional information from the company and include the email with the offer letter in your CPT application.

Step 3: Receive departmental approval for CPT from Academic Advisor, Co-Op Coordinator, Department Head, or Dean

You must discuss your practical training opportunity and course requirement with your academic advisor, Co-Op Coordinator, Department Head, or Dean and receive departmental approval before proceeding. If you are unsure who to meet with, please contact your department for instructions.

Step 4: Complete “CPT Statement of Understanding” and “Offer Letter Verification” e-forms

As your first step in the online application process, you will log in to myISS at https://connect.iss.purdue.edu and navigate to the “F-1 and J-1 Student Services” category. Find the “Curricular Practical Training (CPT)” e-form and click on it. Follow the instructions to complete the “CPT Statement of Understanding” e-form and the “Offer Letter Verification” e-form. You will get an email confirmation upon submission of the job offer letter. ISS will evaluate your job offer letter to confirm it contains all required information. This typically takes three business days.

Step 5: Register for CPT course

Register for your CPT course. You can find the course description in MyPurdue.

Step 6: Complete “Immigration Documents Upload” and “CPT Course and Academic Advisor Verification” e-forms

Once ISS has verified your job offer letter contains the required information, you will be granted access to the next step in your application. You will log back in to myISS to upload your passport and I-94 Arrival Record using the link provided by ISS. Then you will navigate back to your CPT application e-form. Do not “start a new request.” Instead, click on your previous submission to continue the application. Click on the “CPT Course and Academic Advisor Verification” e-form and fill in the appropriate information.

Step 7: Wait for processing

Upon submission of these e-forms, your academic advisor will be notified and required to fill in their portion of the e-form. You will receive email notification once your advisor has submitted their part. At that time, your application will be forwarded to ISS for processing. ISS processing time will take approximately 5 business days of the date we receive all required e-forms and documents.

To be fair to all students, ISS processes requests in the order in which they are received and cannot accommodate expedite requests. Do not work in any capacity, paid or unpaid, until you receive authorization from ISS.

Step 8: Receive your I-20 from ISS

CPT is authorized by ISS if all eligibility requirements are met. ISS will create a new I-20 reflecting the authorization. ISS will contact you via email once your I-20 has been created and is ready to be picked up. The CPT authorization will be printed on page 2 of your I-20. Make sure to sign and date your I-20.

Changes in or Extension of CPT Authorization

CPT is authorized for specific dates, so if those dates need to change, you must receive authorization for the change beforehand. You must give ISS 10 business to process any changes to your CPT authorization. 


To Extend Your CPT Authorization Within a Semester:

If you wish to extend your CPT authorization for a few days within a semester, your employer must provide written confirmation in the form of a new offer letter or email specifying the new end date. You must provide this verification to the Immigration Counselor who authorized your CPT 10 business days prior to the new end date. 


To Extend Your CPT Authorization for Another Semester:

If you wish to extend your CPT authorization for another semester, you must apply for a new period of CPT authorization, as CPT is authorized on a semester-by-semester basis. You must apply a minimum of 10 business days before your current CPT expiration to avoid any gap in employment.


To Shorten CPT End Date:

Your employer must provide written confirmation in the form of a new offer letter or email specifying the new end date. You must provide this verification to the Immigration Counselor who authorized your CPT 10 business days prior to the new end date. 


To Cancel CPT:

If you wish to cancel your CPT authorization before it begins, your employer must provide written confirmation that you have not worked for them. Please provide this verification to the Immigration Counselor before your CPT start date, preferably 10 business days to process the change.

If you have worked any time with your employer but wish to stop your employment and cancel the rest of your CPT authorization, please see the instructions above for shortening your CPT end date, and discuss your plans to maintain your immigration status with the Immigration Counselor who authorized your for CPT.

Cooperative Education (Co-Op) Programs

Cooperative Education (Co-Op) programs can provide a strong and meaningful complement to the formal education of students. International students may be eligible for co-op programs. It is important to note that international students must apply for CPT for the work authorization to work during their co-op sessions. Acceptance into a Co-Op program is not work authorization.

3-Session Co-Op: Typically, international students are able to complete a 3-session co-op using three semesters of CPT authorization. If you complete your 3 sessions using less than one year of full-time CPT authorization, you should still be eligible to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) after you graduate.

5-Session Co-Op: International students can participate in 5-session co-ops, but it requires detailed, advanced planning. There are several options to navigate the work authorization necessary to complete a 5-session co-op.

  • One option is to use CPT authorization for all five sessions: this option means you would exceed one year of full-time CPT and would not be eligible for OPT after you graduate.

  • A second option is to use a combination of CPT and pre-completion OPT. Students typically use CPT for three regular semesters (fall and spring semesters) and pre-completion OPT for two summer sessions. Note that every month of pre-completion OPT used takes away one month of post-completion OPT. So, for example, if you use a total of 6 months pre-completion OPT to complete your co-op program, you would only have 6 months of post-completion OPT left after you graduate. Please note that applications for pre-completion OPT must be submitted to USCIS for adjudication, and it is recommended that you apply at least three months before your intended start date.

If you have been accepted into a Co-Op program, ISS highly encourages you to make an appointment with an Immigration Counselor before you even begin your co-op in order to make a plan of how you can acquire work authorization to participate in all sessions.

Please see the Office of Professional Practice website for more information on Co-Op programs.

Social Security Information

A Social Security Number (SSN) is a 9-digit number issued to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and temporary non-residents with employment by the Social Security Administration (SSA). SSNs are used to track individuals for taxation purposes. It is not used for identification purposes.

In order to work in the United States, you must obtain a Social Security number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA). A non-U.S. citizen may obtain a SSN if s/he has permission to work in the United States or is required to by a federal, state, or local government agency. Currently, SSNs are only issued to non-residents who have been granted employment eligibility. Dependents with F-2 status are not eligible for a SSN because they are not permitted to work.

Once issued, your Social Security Number is yours for life. Keep your card in a safe place along with your other important documents. If you lose your SS card, you must apply for a replacement card and show proof of current employment.

The SSA provides information for international students on how to apply for a SSN here: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10181.pdf


This section is under construction. Please check back in the future for more information.

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

© 2015 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by International Students and Scholars

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact International Students and Scholars iss@purdue.edu.