Education, Communication and Government Services

The Education, Communication and Governmental Services cluster includes educators, communicators and public relations specialists in the public and private sectors. A wide range of occupations are offered by local, state, national and international agencies.

In the United States between 2020 and 2025, expect an average of 8,400 annual job openings for new college graduates in the Education, Communication and Governmental Services cluster; and 8,700 graduates with degrees and expertise in education, communication and governmental services enter the food agriculture, renewable natural resources and environment workforce. Approximately 14% of all food, agriculture, renewable natural resources and the environment-related position openings are expected to be in Education, Communication and Government Services. Graduates with degrees in food, agriculture, renewable natural resources and the environment will fill 47% (4,100) of the annual openings, with the other 53% (4,600) filled by graduates from allied fields of study.

[Figure 6. Approximately 8,400 Annual Employment Opportunities in Education, Communications and Governmental Services, and a Total of 8,700 Qualified Graduates Entering the Workforce]

Figure 6

Observations and Trends

Employment opportunities for agriscience and natural resources teachers at the middle and high school levels will remain strong. At junior and community colleges, expect a favorable employment outlook for agriculture faculty with advanced degrees. At the university-level, faculty appointments in colleges of agriculture and life sciences will likely see more fixed-term and specialty non-tenure appointments in lieu of tenure track positions. University faculty and professorial positions – more specifically, tenure track appointments – may experience relatively slower growth.

Graduates seeking positions in agricultural and natural resources communication will find openings in businesses and agencies but will encounter significant competition from an oversupply of communication graduates from many disciplines. However, communications specialists in agriculture and science should see favorable job markets, especially those with experience in digital and electronic media management. Demand for social media expertise will remain strong.

Expect a need for graduates with expertise in agricultural, natural resources, environmental and rural policy.

Promising employment opportunities are predicted for data scientists and analysts across the social and communication sciences.

A renewed need for extension and outreach educators, extension specialists, and specialists in community and small business engagement is anticipated for rural and urban settings.