Public Health Major
The Public Health major prepares students to plan, implement, and evaluate public health programs for individuals, groups, and populations in a variety of settings that include worksites, schools, and communities nationally and internationally. With increasing challenges posed by climate change, altered family dynamics, substance abuse, growing health disparities and rising health care costs, training a highly skilled public health workforce is becoming a much greater priority. Courses in this major introduce students to the five core public health competency areas (Behavioral Social Sciences, Biostatistics, Environmental Health, Epidemiology, and Health Policy and Management). An internship at a worksite, community group, or government public health department is part of the curriculum. The goal of the program is to prepare students for entry-level positions in a variety of public health areas. After completing their BS in Public Health, some students choose to go onto graduate or professional school in: public health, (e.g., a Master of Public Health is offered by the Department), nursing, occupational (OT) or physical therapy (PT), physician’s assistant (PA), and medicine. Students also go onto work with Peace Corps or AmeriCorps.
Potential Job Titles
- Worksite Wellness Director
- Outreach Specialist
- Health Education Specialist
- Public Health Management Analyst
- Health Communications Specialist
- Chronic Disease Health Educator
- Community Health Workers
- Research Analyst
- Health Informatics Specialist
- Complete a 400 hour internship in various local, national or global locations
- Participate in a departmental study abroad opportunities during the summer (e.g., Italy, Ireland, Japan, China)
Potential Graduate School Options
- Purdue 5-year accelerated Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Purdue Department of Public Health MPH Degree
- Physician Assistant (PA)
- Healthcare Administration
- Environmental Science
- Occupational Health
- Nutrition Science
- Health Communication
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Public Health Studies
- Health Behavior & Promotion
- Health Promotion & Education
- Basic Public Health Science
- Human Diseases & Disorders
- Population Health
- Research Methods
- Complete list of Purdue public health courses
Degree Requirements and Academic Advising Worksheets
How do I switch my major?
If you are interested in switching your major to Public Health, please visit the Changing Your Major page to learn more about the process to enter the College of Health & Human Sciences.
How do I transfer to Purdue?
If you are interested in transferring to Public Health from another college or university, please visit the Future Transfer Students page to learn more about the steps needed to finish your degree at Purdue University.